Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Sep 28, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Question about non-stick Teflon pots/pans
    I think the non-stick stuff is called Teflon, right?

Anyway, I was wondering about how long you can use a non-stick pot before it needs to be disposed of and replaced?

I have 2 large non stick pots and one of them which is less frequently used is still dark black and smooth inside. The other which we use more often is light grey and more rough texture inside.

And I noticed the other night when I went to fill it with water that the water always bubbles up as if there is soap in it, but there isn't. The bubbles go away after a few seconds but its not like normal water bubbles, they act like soap bubbles. And the other pot doesn't do that.

Is it safe to keep using a nonstick pot that has turned light grey and you can see the silver underneath? Thanks!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
    I toss mine once I noticed that the coating is starting to come off while hand washing it. If the coating is still smooth I'd still use it. Of course if everything starts sticking to it then you lose the benefit of the non-stick pan and I would toss then as well.
    fuzzybutchkins Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by franneh
    I think the non-stick stuff is called Teflon, right?

Anyways, I was wondering about how long you can use a non-stick pot before it needs to be disposed of and replaced?

I have 2 large non stick pots and one of them which is less frequently used is still dark black and smooth inside. The other which we use more often is light grey and more rough texture inside.

And I noticed the other night when I went to fill it with water that the water always bubbles up as if there is soap in it, but there isn't. The bubbles go away after a few seconds but its not like normal water bubbles, they act like soap bubbles. And the other pot doesn't do that.

Is it safe to keep using a nonstick pot that has turned light grey and you can see the silver underneath? Thanks!
    You should only really worry about tossing a non-stick pan if the coating is flaking off. If the pan still does what you want it to do, hang on to it.

As for the bubbling, try a little test. Wash it like you normally would, and then boil water like you normally would. Turn off the heat and let the water cool. Is there a scum on the water? Did the bubbles stick around? Can you find anything at all in your water that isn't, yanno, water? (if you're brave, try a taste test -- just swish and spit, it won't kill you.) if you taste something or see something, toss the pan. The surface is absorbing your wash soap or holding on to food residue, and it's not really fixable.

If everything seems fine, dump the old water and boil again without washing. If is bubbles again like that, it's just how the pan is, and you're on your own. If it doesn't bubble, toss it. It's probably the absorption thing.

If the second boil doesn't produce your bubbles
    Eagle Renter Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Flaking is a big this with teflon and absolutely should be tossed if that's the case. Teflon pans/pots can be used almost forever with the proper care and washing. In other words, never place in dishwasher, never use those 3M green scrubbies on them or anything remotely close to that. Don't let water sit in them for extended periods (like overnight) or any other liquids or foods. Dry immediately after washing. And I'm sure you're aware that you should never use metal on non-stick pots/pans.
    dionwf Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2007, 02:24 AM
    I think using Teflon pans itself is a bad idea- they are so delicate - and who knows what the effect is- of fragments of the coating on our digestive system? Prefer using traditional pots and pans
    Neversuspectme Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Just do use metal against them this is what scratches them to s**t makes the metal come off teflon is great
    Kaleigh2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 01:15 PM
    I also have a pot that I burned and used a spiral scrubber which took the coating off. The stainless steel is now showing through. Is it still safe to cook in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Australian Stick Bug [ 4 Answers ]

I just received an Australian Stick Bug as a gift, and I have no idea what to do with it. It is in a vented plastic cage with a flip top lid, some fake ivy in it, and a small water dish. I was told to feed it greens. I don't know what kind, or if the wrong kind would be bad for it. Can someone...

Peel and stick [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to put peel and stick on an already tiled floor. The tiling was well done so I don't want to tear it up. It's just ugly for my taste. How can I pull this off?

Teflon tape or caulk/sealant? [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing the broken top section of a threaded Jones Stephens shower drain. The old section had plumbers putty used as a thread sealant on the PVC threads. The putty manufacturer says not to use it on plastic. Should I use teflon tape or a caulk/sealant (DAP KwidSeal for showers)?

Should people stick to what they know? [ 22 Answers ]

Should people post in forums they know little about if others with good backgrounds are active there?

Teflon vs Green Stuff [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing some solar hot water installations which involve a lot of plumbing - tanks, heat exchangers, solar collectors, valves, temp gauges, etc. Some solar contractors I know like to use "green stuff" pipe dope, whereas regular plumbers seem to prefer teflon tape. Stories I've heard include...

View more questions Search