Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mymissy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Increase in security deposit
    The state law in new jersey about increases in security deposits says a landlord can only raise your deposit once a year no more then 10% on current deposit. i've lived in this mobile home park for 43 yrs. This is my second mobile home here. My current deposit is only $90 he wants to raise it $364.00 more. If my current deposit is $90 10% is $9 am i right?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Hello my:

I think your math is correct. However, I wonder if he's just going to go away when you present him with THE LAW. Probably not.

But, if you wrote him a letter stating what the law is, and if you sent the letter certified, return receipt requested, I'll bet he might. Include your check for $9.

excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Where did you come up with a law in NJ that says the landlord can't increase your deposit by more than 10%? I know of no such law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2007, 07:08 AM
    By the way Lisa is a Real Estate Attorney in NJ so if she doesn't know of such a law...

Also rental of a mobile home lot may not come under regular tenant/landlord laws. Finally, the law (if one exists) may not prohibit catchups. So, if your deposit hasn't been raised in a long time he may be allowed to catch up.
    mymissy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Comment on LisaB4657's post
    Go to nj state laws for mobile

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit Increase for Pet [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I rent a unit on a month-to-month lease. I was given a very beautiful puppy for my birthday by my fiancé. We had previously spoken to our property managers regarding possibly getting a pet "one day" and they said their new leases now allowed for small dogs - we have not seen or signed...

Increase in Security Deposit [ 12 Answers ]

When we renewed our lease our landlord increased our rent by $100.00. He then told us he was increasing our security by $300.00 ($100.00 for first, $100.00 for last and $100.00 for security). That does not sound right to us. When you get an increase in rent is it typical that the landlord also...

Increase in security deposits [ 1 Answers ]

THE STATE LAW IN NEW JERSEY ABOUT INCREASES IN SECURITY DEPOSITS SAYS A LANDLORD Ccn only raise your security deposit once a year no more then 10% on current deposit. I've lived in this park for 43 YRS. This is my second mobile home here. My currant deposit is $90 he wants to raise it $364.00 more....

Security deposit increase [ 1 Answers ]

Can a landlord raise your secuity deposit. I live in a mobile home and only rent the ground . I've lived in this park 42 years ( this is my second mobile home since I moved here ) my deposit then was $90.00, the new landlord wants $187.44 more. Do I have to pay him? Two tentants never paid a...

Security deposit increase? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been renting for approximately 2 years and was informed last month that a $300 increase in my security deposit is required with my next month's rent. Is this legal? The propoerty was sold about six months ago and I'm on a month-to-month lease which the only option given. I know they can...

View more questions Search