Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 21, 2009, 11:10 AM

Love the pics!

My fav is the one of the dane sitting on the couch with his bum on the couch but his feet on the floor. Classic.

Good God they're big dogs! ;)
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 11:16 AM

LOL they are huge. You definitely don't get a dane to have a small dog!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 21, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdanelover3 View Post
    LOL they are huge. You definitely dont get a dane to have a small dog!
    My kids could ride those dogs! ;)

I have a lab cross a border collie cross and a beagle, I thought the two crosses were big, but they're half the size of a dane! :eek:

I can't imagine it. The two bigger dogs knock stuff over all the time, a dane could actually sit on my kitchen table! ;)

May 21, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Name:  m_16fa7ce08324c56802587bd17e9c8f26.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  4.9 KB

I thought you might like this, in response to your kids could ride them lol
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 22, 2009, 03:58 PM

Such beautiful dogs!

Since I have the attention of two great dane owners here, can maybe you guys help me out?

My new dane Kane is a pain when it comes to getting him to eat. He went to the vet yesterday and has a clean bill of health. He's just picky I guess. I've been using the same food he was on when we adopted him but we can barely get him to eat 3 cups a day! How can I get him to eat more?

May 22, 2009, 07:13 PM

What kind of food are you feeding him? It could be just that he doesn't like the food. Danes have a very sensitive stomach and you need to be careful what you feed them. Check this website Great Dane Lady | Dog Health, Nutrition, HOD, Allergies it's the best ever! I am also going to ask my vet for some suggestions. Remember a dog will eat. As long is it is healthy dogs will not starve themselves.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Such beautiful dogs!!

Since I have the attention of two great dane owners here, can maybe you guys help me out?

My new dane Kane is a pain when it comes to getting him to eat. He went to the vet yesterday and has a clean bill of health. He's just picky I guess. I've been using the same food he was on when we adopted him but we can barely get him to eat 3 cups a day! How can I get him to eat more?
    My mom is having the same problem with her Dane at the moment.
    They are notoriously fussy eaters.
    The other night she cooked a lamb roast... for the dog! He still didn't eat it :D

He is slowly picking back up with his eating (this has been going on for 2 months and he is 1 year old)

Unless he gets physically skinny or is not eating anything that would contribut to a balanced diet get him vet checked for any nasties but persoanlly I wouldn't worry too much :)

Ohh and go to the Great Dane Lady site, mentioned above, it is excellent :)

May 23, 2009, 12:47 AM

He was vet checked yesterday shaz. He's clear of nasties and other problems. He is physically skinny, not emaciated but real, real thin. He only weights 101 right now. We called the rescue back and they said they only ever gave him 3-4 cups a day. I read that at adulthood danes should eat about 8 cups a day split up into multiple meals. How much do your danes normally eat?

Oh and he's on Purina dog chow. The same kind he was being fed before we adopted him.

I might just have to try a different brand I guess.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 04:57 AM

Glad to hear he is in good health :)

8 cups a day is about right, we feed ours both wet and dry food plus a few chicken necks for breakfast.

You could try adding a different brand slowly and see if it makes a difference.
    Have you tried wet food at all? They still need the dry to keep their teeth healthy but wet adds a bit of variety.

I'd be interested to hear danelovers input as well.

May 23, 2009, 11:22 AM

He'll eat canned food better but not always and I know he can't eat just canned food. If you put a can on top of his other food he'll eat it off and ignore the rest. If you mix it together its too much effort for him to dig around and he'll ignore it.

He has no problem with people food. He may not be a counter surfer, he just lays his head down next to it and stares but if he can remotely pretend he perceived an invitation its going to be gone the next time you blink.

He also well adjusted into the home so its not that either.

For once I would like a dog to not be a picky eater. One of my huskies is a pain to feed as well, but not nearly as bad as Kane.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 11:54 AM

Hmm I'm pretty stumped with this one.
    Only thing we did was wait until he started eating again.

Kade got pretty skinny, his ribs were poking out, it wasn't from neglect it was just from him being stubborn!

He put the weight back on in a matter of a few weeks, he still isn't quite as heavy as he should be but he looks fine now.
    He had his first dog show in 4 months yesterday, beat a fully mature dog so we were pretty happy.
    He was so naughty for best in group though he didn't even get a look in :p

Sorry for the hijack :o

May 23, 2009, 02:46 PM

Try to keep him away from
    Table scraps. My Dane is a picky eater to! I just switched it from diamond to wellness n he really enjoys the wellness!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't answer calls from me! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't take calls from me. They do not use the house as a primary residence. They are very wealthy and definitely have the means to pay. Just incredibly evasive and dismissive. Dotn know where to turn. Someone please help! I cannot...

My dog won't eat after being ill and losing his mate [ 6 Answers ]

My mum one Sunday took the dogs for a walk, it was a hot day and they both ended up getting very sick, one died on our kitchen floor, the other was taken to the vet where we were told it was heat exhaustion. He was put on a drip and the like, since then he was been a different dog. He won't eat...

My ex and my best mate? [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, So I broke up with my ex-girlfriend around 2 months ago. She was the one that dumped me and subsequently its been a tough time. While we don't hate each other were are doing the No Contact rule in order to allow things to heal. I have not healed yet, not by far, I still have feelings for...

Guy mate [ 2 Answers ]

There iz this guy that I really like an we are bezzi mates but he is 3 years older than me an I fancy him but he is going out wiv sum1 else... HELP!:confused:

View more questions Search