Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SilentO Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 09:21 PM
    Accord '01 stalls but starts after 15-20 minutes
    I have a honda accord 2001. It has stalled on me on the fwy and local streets and it won't start if I turn it off after driving or leaving it running for more than 10 minutes or more. It has 190k and the code reader isn't picking up any code.

Can someone please help me?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 09:36 PM

If you have the 4-cylinder engine, replace the Ignition Control Module and coil.

Feb 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    If you have the 4-cylinder engine, replace the Ignition Control Module and coil.
    Yes, it is a 4-cylinder engine.

When it stalls, the speedometer immediately goes to 0.

I have only replaced my timing belt once.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 09:59 PM

You need to replace the timing belt, water pump, and camshaft seals right away, also. If the timing belt goes, the valves and pistons are toast.

Feb 7, 2010, 03:24 PM
    You need to replace the timing belt, water pump, and camshaft seals right away, also. If the timing belt goes, the valves and pistons are toast.
    What get changed when changing the timing belt?
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 04:14 PM

When it's time to replace the timing belt on Honda Accords, it's recommended that the water pump and camshaft seals also be replaced. You need to have this done, now, to prevent serious damage to the engine.

Feb 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Do I have to replace the entire distributor housing or just the cap for this one? Should I take the car to autozone to have them test the distrubtor?
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

No. Here's how to replace the ICM and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Feb 9, 2010, 12:15 PM
    The car technician told me to replace the main relay as well. Do I need to replace that as well? He thinks it might be the main relay that causing the car to stall
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 12:33 PM

The main relay can cause this problem. However, it's more common to suspect the main relay during the summer. Usually, the car will start in the cool of the morning but not in the heat of the day. I normally recommend replacing them every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. On that basis, you qualify to replace it.

Feb 9, 2010, 01:13 PM
    The main relay can cause this problem. However, it's more common to suspect the main relay during the summer. Usually, the car will start in the cool of the morning but not in the heat of the day. I normally recommend replacing them every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. On that basis, you qualify to replace it.
    Would you happen to know what is the cost to replace the timing belt on honda accord 2001($600?))? Sorry but you seem to be really knowledgeable in this area.

Cost to replace the main relay (100?) or the distributor ($400)?
    The technician is telling me to replace the entire distributor assembly ($400)
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 02:28 PM

Timing belt $450. Relay $50. I'd go to Honda for the repairs--often cheaper.

Feb 9, 2010, 03:49 PM

TxGreaseMonkey,

Dealing is charging $900 to do the timing.

Do I need to replace the entire distributor or just the coil ignition? The assembly is $400 and the coil ignition only is $100.

Thanks again TxGreaseMonkey,
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 05:07 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I would first try only replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil.

Feb 9, 2010, 05:55 PM

When do you change the spark plug wires? I have never replaced them.
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:25 PM

Approx. every 80,000 miles.

Feb 11, 2010, 10:54 PM
    This isn't relate to the problem that I have but if I have a manual ac climate control, can I replace it with an auto climate control?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tractor starts but stalls [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn tractor has a 17.5 hp b&s and it starts right up and runs for approx. 20 sec. then stalls.I cleaned the carb, put fuel stabilizer in still the same.could it be the fuel solenoid or a faulry safety switch?

92 Civic LX shuts off then won't start for 2 minutes then starts and idles high w/ CEL [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1992 manual D15b7 130K mileage civic that ran perfect for the 4 years I've owned it. The other night while on my way home it shuts off, I tried to start it but it will crank and not turn over... then after about 2 minutes of trying/waiting it started but idled at 1400 rpm with a CEL. ...

91 accord starts & stalls [ 3 Answers ]

My son has a '91 Accord. It will start and immediately die. It will run IF you keep the key in the start position (like you are starting it, holding the key forward). What do we need to check first, second, etc. Thanks to whomever can help.

95 civic starts then stalls [ 1 Answers ]

My civic start for a sec then cut out main relay starts clicking when motor cuts out. Most the time motor won't start and main relay makes clicking sound when trying to start. I replaced the main relay and the ecm.

91 CRX Stalls then starts again [ 1 Answers ]

I've had this car for years, a few years ago the coil went bad and I had it replaced at an auto shop. Several months later it started stalling on me while driving. It wouldn't sputter or anything... it would just shut off. When I go to crank it again, it turns but doesn't start. If I wait maybe an...

View more questions Search