Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Hot water shut off valve and main water line (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=81022)

• Apr 10, 2007, 05:56 AM
    ajaydesai
    Hot water shut off valve and main water line
    I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?
  • Apr 10, 2007, 07:47 AM
    ballengerb1
    You could have a shut off outside but more likely just inside your foundation. A good installation has 3, the first out near the city feed, 2 and 3 are on each side of the meter. If you don't know where they are then you haven't use them in years. Go slow when shutting them down and they may not be 100% perfectly sealed. Which shut off are you replacing, under the basin?
  • Apr 10, 2007, 08:15 AM
    ajaydesai
    I am replacing under basin. How much skill do I need? Most skill I have is that I recently replaced old toilet and tank with new supply tube which took me a week.
  • Apr 10, 2007, 08:19 AM
    ajaydesai
    If I go with pro how much following will cost exproximatly if some one have get done plumbing. Replacing faucet in basin, kitchen and garden along with local shut off valve fix.
  • Apr 10, 2007, 08:21 AM
    ballengerb1
    OK the toilet job should takke about 2 hours for most home owners without plumbing skills so you be the judge. It won't be harder than replacing the toilet since you probably replaced the toilet supply line with a angle stop cock, tell me you did. The basin shut off is almost the same as the toilet shut off but a bit bigger. You need a stop cock that fit your two pipes. One from the wall is the supply and the other pipe goes to the toilet from your new shut off. You can';t do any of this until you shut down the main to the house first.
  • Apr 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
    speedball1
    You should find a whole house shut off at the point of entry or if there isn't one then the meter has a shut off located just ahead of the meter. Changing the hot water shut off depends on the type of valve. Thread or solder.
    What's wrong with it? Won't turn? Turns but won't shut off? Let's have some details, Thanks, Tom
  • Apr 11, 2007, 10:59 AM
    ajaydesai
    It turns but won't shut off. Also I heard that if you shut off main line that is just before your water heater then you also has to lower the pressure of your water heater otherwise I can have problems. Is it true? I think I can shut off valve by heater.
  • Apr 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
    ballengerb1
    Yes, if you close your main feed you should shut down your heater. There is no wear for the expnasion to go. Which valve turns but doesn't shut off?
  • Apr 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
    labman
    Shutting down the water heater isn't the whole solution. You need to open a hot water tap. Of course, as long as you have the hot water line to the faucet open to work on it, water can flow in and out the line to equalize pressure.

While you have things apart, I would replace the non functional valve with a ball valve. That way, the next time you need to shut it off, it will shut off. It also won't leak around the stem.