Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   Getting my life back (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=251981)

• Aug 22, 2008, 10:18 PM
    unpleasant
    Getting my life back
    I a a young mother ,who deeply regrets a huge mistake in life.I will make it short . I got into a fight with a girl at age 20 and she pressed charges on me and had me arrested. She overly lied to the police charging me for burglary of habitat. I was in jail for like four hours and was bailed ,and got a lawyer who said they changed my charge to assault causing bodily injury. Now at the time I was totally ignorant w/ no kids and didn't know any legal terms. So they gave me two years of probation and I completed them and I never have been into any trouble. I am 31 now and finished my school and now that it comes around to getting a fair job a job I can't. I have this issue haunting me forever.I am feeling like a big LOSER. The lady who interviewed me ran a background check on me and found arrested for burglary of habitat through my drivers license and assault causing bodily injury through my SS#.As my heart sunk in she stated," sorry I am unable to offer you a position with the company". What can I do? I am a good citizen who made a wrong decision once and got into a fight, but NEVER did I commit such a criminal like going into somebody's house and steal. I hope I can get my life back.
  • Aug 23, 2008, 06:43 AM
    excon
    Hello un:

Hire a lawyer and apply for a pardon.

excon
  • Aug 23, 2008, 06:50 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon
    Hello un:

Hire a lawyer and apply for a pardon.

excon

Expungement?

What State?
  • Aug 23, 2008, 07:02 AM
    excon
    Hello Jude:

Expungement vs pardon. The process is almost the same thing. Why not go for the big kahuna? If she's eligible for one, she's probably eligible for the other. Besides, some states don't offer expungement. ALL offer pardons.

excon
  • Aug 23, 2008, 07:21 AM
    unpleasant
    I a, from Texas.
  • Aug 23, 2008, 07:29 AM
    unpleasant
    Texas. And is it necessary for me to hire a lawyer,or is it something I can do on my own?I was googling and found out about recordzapper. Have you heard of them?
  • Aug 23, 2008, 07:39 AM
    excon
    Hello again, un:

You absolutely, positively need a lawyer. At the hearing, you're going to have a prosecutor on the other side of the table telling the judge just how BAD a person you are. You're going to need an equally competent attorney telling the judge that you're a WONDERFUL person.

You only have ONE shot at this. Give yourself all the ammunition you need.

excon

PS> I would NOT - repeat NOT - got to a quick fix internet somebody.
  • Aug 23, 2008, 08:48 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Jude:

Expungement vs pardon. The process is almost the same thing. Why not go for the big kahuna? If she's eligible for one, she's probably eligible for the other. Besides, some states don't offer expungement. ALL offer pardons.

excon

Hanging my head in shame -

(The big kahuna?)
  • Aug 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
    twinkiedooter
    Excon's been spending too much time on his boat and surfing... after all it's summer and he's got Hawaii on his mind...

Go for the pardon if you can, but definitely get an attorney to help you through this. It is not cheap, but then your pressing need for a good job should outweigh the cost of professional representation.