Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Tools & Power Equipment (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=334)
-   -   John Deere LT160 lawn tractor (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=32635)

• Aug 26, 2006, 08:33 AM
    fjp
    John Deere LT160 lawn tractor
    My lawn tractor (LT)will not start. When it is on choke it just acts like it is not getting fuel. When on run when I try to start it it backfires and will not start. I checked the fuel filter, chenaged the spark plug, made sure the carborator was not clogged cleaned out the carborator bowl. The plug is firing and the engine haws compression.

Why does the LT act likes it out of fuel when on choke but when I try to start it on run it backfires?
  • Aug 26, 2006, 07:36 PM
    thebriggsdude
    Never hit anything?

You never really know you got the carb cleaned by looking.. I'd take it apart and soak it in carb cleaner for a few hours, then blow out every hole with carb cleaner a few good times, and chase them with a wire (bread tie wire size)
  • Aug 27, 2006, 05:45 PM
    esquire1
    Also it has a vented gas cap. Make sure that it is open and not clogged. Commen problem.
  • Aug 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
    thebriggsdude
    Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire1
    Also it has a vented gas cap. Make sure that it is open and not clogged. Commen problem.

Yes, but normally if one is clogged... the engine will run for a few minutes before it will show it by slowing and soon stopping fuel flow.
  • Apr 8, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Poursha
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fjp
    My lawn tractor (LT)will not start. When it is on choke it just acts like it is not getting fuel. When on run when I try to start it it backfires and will not start. I checked the fuel filter, chenaged the spark plug, made sure the carborator was not clogged cleaned out the carborator bowl. The plug is firing and the engine haws compression.

Why does the LT act likes it out of fuel when on choke but when I try to start it on run it backfires?

Did you ever find resolution for this problem.

Mine is having the same symptoms...

Rob
  • Jun 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
    toddmcgawlik
    I ran into the same problem. After cleaning the carb, airfilter, plug etc, I removed the gas cap and WOW, it started!
  • Jun 17, 2008, 09:50 AM
    MOWERMAN2468
    Check the flywheel key. Just because you have spark, doesn't mean you have it at the correct time. Check the flywheel key.
  • Dec 1, 2011, 04:35 PM
    TIMBERRON.
    This may help you check your fuel tank cap to make sure the vent hole is not plugged as this had happened to me it shut the motor down completely
  • Jul 7, 2013, 02:15 PM
    Joe1317
    Pulled flywheel to check key and it is fine... steel key. I tried the gas cap just now but still same results.

When it starts choking down it smells very rich so the engine is getting plenty of gas that isn't getting burned. Disengage deck and stop moving and it begins running again... definitely does not appear just to be a deck issue but power issue.