Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Sewer backup in Kitchen Sink (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=6916)

• Jan 2, 2005, 07:57 AM
    Pauly
    Sewer backup in Kitchen Sink
    Yesterday I heard a rumbling in the kitchen and some clear sewage backed up in the sink with a horrible smell. This happened twice and went away. After some usage the sink clogged up. The plunger worked and cleared it. But then it clogged up again immediately. I tried plunging again and a lot of black stuff came out (sediment). I loosend the utrap underneath to drain it then put some drano max in it. I left it overnight to find a my sink half full of light black water.

Any ideas as to what the problem is or what I should do.

PS I have a dishwasher but no disposal.
  • Jan 2, 2005, 08:45 AM
    speedball1
    Hey Pauly, ( loved you in the Sopranos),

Were you washing clothes when this happened? Draining the sink or using the dishwasher? You may have two blockages to remove. One in the kitchen branch and the other in the sink lateral,( the horizontal pipe in the wall between the trap and the vent stack. The one I'd address first is the branch. Rent a sewer machine and run the snake down the kitchen vent stack. You will hit a bend at the base. Put out about 15 or 20 more feet to get out into the house main. If the lateral's clear the sink will drain and you will have solved your problem. If not then try plunging and if that don't work you will have to remove the traps "J" bend and run a hand snake up the lateral drain line. The good news is that you won't have to run out more then 6 or 8 feet of cable. Good luck, Tom
  • Jan 2, 2005, 09:06 AM
    Pauly
    Thanks for the quick reply,

I wasn't doing anything. The rumbling started spontaneously. I used the sink successfully for a few hours and then it clogged up while I was washing dishes. More water is starting to back up into my sink.
  • Jan 2, 2005, 08:24 PM
    tommytman
    What kind of place do you live in? If I understand... water backs up when no one in your house is using water??
  • Jan 3, 2005, 10:36 AM
    speedball1
    I should have asked and didn't. Do you live in a single family house? If so then this is what you should do.
    Rent a sewer machine and run the snake down the kitchen vent stack. You will hit a bend at the base. Put out about 15 or 20 more feet to get out into the house main. If the lateral's clear the sink will drain and you will have solved your problem. If not then try plunging and if that don't work you will have to remove the traps "J" bend and run a hand snake up the lateral drain line. The good news is that you won't have to run out more then 6 or 8 feet of cable
    If you live in a apartment or condo then the pipes will still have to be snaked but drainage is considered a "common area" and the condo association should pay. Regards, Tom