Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=457552)

• Mar 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
    loreta16
    My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic
    My dad heard on a radio show it is good to give dogs bones. So he gave my dog a meat bone and now my dog is shaking and acting lethargic. What should I do I am worried and concerned??
  • Mar 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
    cdad

What type of bone was it? When did everything start? Was it shortly after eating or next day ?
  • Mar 13, 2010, 09:14 PM
    loreta16

It was a rib bone and it started about 30 minutes after he ate it. He is a small Lhasa Aposo.
  • Mar 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Is he breathing OK, or is the shaking him having trouble breathing ?
  • Mar 13, 2010, 09:20 PM
    loreta16

He is shaking and his breathing is slow. He is lying on the floor whimpering.
  • Mar 13, 2010, 09:21 PM
    cdad

It sounds like your dog is in stress and needs to see a vet right now. This appears to be an emergency from what your describing.
  • Mar 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
    J_9
    Is it a pork bone? Beef bone?
  • Mar 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
    shazamataz

If he actually eat the bone, or got pieces off it I wouldn't be wasting time, I'd be taking him to the vet asap.

Bones both cooked and raw can cause blockages or pierce vital organs.
    I myself do feed the occasional raw bone but only under close supervision and the bones is always bigger than the dog could possibly swallow, I never, ever feed cooked bones.
    Cooked bones can splinter when being chewed and if swallowed almost have an effect of razor blades in the dogs stomach.

Feed both bread and if you can get some soaked cotton balls into him to help cushion the edges of the bones until you can get him to the vet.
  • Mar 14, 2010, 07:04 AM
    rex123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    If he actually eat the bone, or got pieces off it I wouldn't be wasting time, I'd be taking him to the vet asap.

Bones both cooked and raw can cause blockages or pierce vital organs.
    I myself do feed the occasional raw bone but only under close supervision and the bones is always bigger than the dog could possibly swallow, I never, ever feed cooked bones.
    Cooked bones can splinter when being chewed and if swallowed almost have an effect of razor blades in the dogs stomach.

Feed both bread and if you can get some soaked cotton balls into him to help cushion the edges of the bones until you can get him to the vet.

Yes get him to the vet. I saw on Animal Cops once where a dog ate a bone and it got caught in its throat, untimately causing labored breathing and the dog was not able to eat and became very emaciated.

Anytime your dog's breathing is comprimised it should be taken to the vet.
  • Mar 14, 2010, 12:11 PM
    JudyKayTee

Any out of the ordinary behavior is reason to take the animal to a Vet. Not to scare you but my neighbor's dog had a perforated stomach from a bone. No one noticed and the dog could not be saved.
  • Mar 14, 2010, 12:20 PM
    jmjoseph

I just got to this thread. I hope that you have taken your dog to get checked out by now.

Can you let us know what's up?