Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Beauty (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Highlights too light (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=73119)

• Mar 17, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Haley129
    Highlights too light
    I got highlights today but there are too many of them and they are way too blonde for my natural underlying brunette color. What can I do to tone down these highlights and also help my brunette color to show through more?

Thanks!
  • Mar 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
    shannonoleyar
    Haley,
    Go back to the salon that colored your hair and tell them how you feel. They may fix it for free if your colorist got bleach happy but if you requested heavy highlights they may ask you to pay to fix it. Bleach (what they do to lighten hair) strips away the color from your hair shaft and in doing so damages your hair. If they dye your hair back to brunette, it stains the blonde hair and doesn't usually damage it anymore. If you chose to fix it yourself, select a hair dye that is a few shades lighter than your brunette color and use a wide tooth comb to apply the hair dye... sparingly! You'll spread more brown but won't completely lose the highlights. It will slightly darken some but not others. Moderation is key... if you simply slap on the hair dye all over your head, then the blonde highlights are gone. My advice is the salon unless your really not that picky about the exact highlights.
    *Maybe you should try washing your hair w/ special shampoo made for brunettes (like Pantene's new line or John Frieda) a few times in a row... then condition well. (that may tone it down) Give it a few days to get used to it and see what your friends think about it. If the color is dramatic, maybe you just need a few days to get used to it. Besides, summer coming... lighten up! Good luck!
  • Mar 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
    PrettyLady
    When applying highlights, you shouldn't go more than three or four shades lighter or darker than your natural color, as the results will be unnatural. Do not attempt to fix it yourself, it could make matters worse. I recommend that you go back to the salon and have them fix your hair. The hairstylist will apply a toner to tone down the highlights.
  • Apr 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
    10clementines
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haley129
    I got highlights today but there are too many of them and they are way too blonde for my natural underlying brunette color. What can I do to tone down these highlights and also help my brunette color to show through more?

Thanks!

I had the same thing happen to me - but I had them done on a Saturday. The salon was closed Sun. & Mondays. I COULD NOT leave it that way, but I was afraid to do a box color on top of it because it could turn green.
    As a quick, temporary fix, I used my kids brown crayola marker & lightly streaked it over the blonde. This washes out, but it allowed me to leave the house without feeling like a freak.
    Hope that helps :-)
  • Apr 6, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Kcat

I really loved the chocolate red brown I have but I had an idea I wanted two or three foils in the front for the Halo Highlights, well it looks blond! WOW it is supposed to be two shades lighter than my hair, I ran to the store and bought wash in wash out color until I can call my stylist and tell her to help me cover it with the original color the front of my hair does not match the rest of my hair ! I'm so glad I only did three foils!
  • May 30, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Devorameira

You can use a glaze or a toner in a darker shade. You can get one a beauty supply shop.