Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   How do you teach/make a dog eat dog food (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=666425)

• Jun 2, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Nutmag
    How do you teach/make a dog eat dog food
    Hello,I need a little bit of help so would you mind giving me some tips please?Ihave an almost 6 moths old black labrador which I've just received and she's been given human food.I am trying to make her eat dry food but she only eats half of what I give her even though she should be eating all of it.Do you have any advice you can give me?>.<
    I haven't given her any human food at least not myself,but the person from where I bought her did and now it is kind of hard to change that.It's not like she is not eating at all but she doesn't eat as much as she should at her age.The vet said that I should put 250 g of dry food at each meal,twice a day and she only eats like 125 g.
  • Jun 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
    smoothy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutmag View Post
    Hello,I need a little bit of help so would you mind giving me some tips please?Ihave an almost 6 moths old black labrador which i've just received and she's been given human food.I am trying to make her eat dry food but she only eats half of what i give her even though she should be eating all of it.Do you have any advice you can give me?>.<

Don't feed her human food... when its hungry it WILL eat the dog food.
  • Jun 2, 2012, 12:35 PM
    LadySam
    Yes, offer only the dry food, presumably a high quality puppy food.
    Read the packaging to know exactly what you should be feeding, so you'll know she is not getting too much or too little.
    Human food is not for dogs, refrain form giving in. I realize that may be hard to do but you'll need to resist the temptation.
    Feed her at set times, allow her plenty of time to eat then take the food up.
    She'll soon get the hang of it.
    Healthy dogs will not starve themselves.
  • Jun 2, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Nutmag
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Don't feed her human food...when its hungry it WILL eat the dog food.

I haven't at least not myself,but the person from where I bought her did and now it is kind of hard to change that.It's not like she is not eating at all but she doesn't eat as much as she should at her age.The vet said that I should put 250 g of dry food at each meal,twice a day and she only eats like 125 g.
  • Jun 2, 2012, 12:39 PM
    daniels1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutmag View Post
    Hello,I need a little bit of help so would you mind giving me some tips please?Ihave an almost 6 moths old black labrador which i've just received and she's been given human food.I am trying to make her eat dry food but she only eats half of what i give her even though she should be eating all of it.Do you have any advice you can give me?>.<

An adult dog, 1 year and older should be feed once a day. They can be fed a good dry dog food of your choice. Follow the recommended chart on the bag for their normal weight, not their obese weight. If you do this they will eat all their recommended amount. Also be sure they have plenty of water to drink.