Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Taxes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   How to get CAF number for POA? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=16064)

• Dec 13, 2005, 04:29 PM
    troj
    How to get CAF number for POA?
    I had filed 2 tax returns for my friends.
    They received their Refund check.
    How can I get CAF number for form 2848?
    When I filed the returns I entered NONE in the space.
    Any advice will be helpful.
    Thank you
  • Dec 13, 2005, 11:51 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

The CAF number is a special account number registered with the IRS by tax professionals.

If you did tax returns for your friends (presumably at no charge), you will not have a CAF number, nor do you need one for Form 2848.
  • Dec 14, 2005, 04:56 PM
    troj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

The CAF number is a special account number registered with the IRS by tax professionals.

If you did tax returns for your friends (presumably at no charge), you will not have a CAF number, nor do you need one for Form 2848.

I charge them for this service.
    In fact I singed one the returns,because my friend was not in the USA in that time.
    What should I do? To call IRS and get this number.
    Is there any specific procedure for this?
    Thank you
  • Dec 16, 2005, 09:06 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

You have to apply with the IRS to get a CAF number.

Do a search on the IRS website (www.irs.gov) to get the procedures for applying for a CAF.

BTW, do not mention to the IRS that you signed your friend's name to his return. The IRS takes a rather dim view of such practices.

ATG
  • Dec 17, 2005, 05:00 PM
    troj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

You have to apply with the IRS to get a CAF number.

Do a search on the IRS website (www.irs.gov) to get the procedures for applying for a CAF.

BTW, do not mention to the IRS that you signed your friend's name to his return. The IRS takes a rather dim view of such practices.

ATG

Do I have to call this tel.nember 1-866-860-4259?
    I did a research but it is not clear to me what to do.
    Can you please tell me the next steps?
    Thank you very much Atl.Exp.
  • Dec 18, 2005, 09:41 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Yes, call the number and follow the instructions from the IRS.

ATE
  • Jan 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
    LinkAssociates
    Actually, that phone number will not get you a CAF#. You will need to file form 2848 or 8821 with your friend's information on it. After faxing these forms to the IRS, you can call ACS to verify that your POA was received. Once this has been established the IRS will automatically assign a CAF# to you based on the faxed POA and tax payer information. Never sign somebody's tax return, even if you have a 2848.

Scott Link
    Link&Associates
    Www.wehelptax.com
  • Dec 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
    yvonnep
    I will be working for liberty tax service this tax season and already have ptin number i wouldlike to get a caf number to be able to talk to irs for my clients
  • Dec 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    You have to apply for the CAF number with the IRS.
  • Aug 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
    saradelaneyea
    You have to be Authorized to Practice Tax Law to get a CAF number... Like a CPA or an EA
  • Aug 15, 2013, 02:33 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Saradelaneyea,

No, that is NOT true. I have a CAF number and I am NOT a tax attorney, a CPA or an EA.