Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Sewer odor after using washing machine (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=42849)

• Nov 14, 2006, 01:27 PM
    cweg
    Sewer odor after using washing machine
    We started having problems with sewer odor in our conjoined bathroom/laundry room after using the washing machine. The plumber who came out to help didn't see any problems, but recommended my husband start pulling insulation off the drain pipes to look for a crack. We live in AK and it is 20 below outside... pulling insulation off seems risky. Any suggestions to help localize our problem or should we simply look for a better plumber? Again, the odor is only apparent after using the washing machine.

Thanks,
    Cara
  • Nov 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
    speedball1
    Hi Cara,

I'd leave the insulation alone unless you have really old drain lines and suspect a crack in one of them. If that were so you would smell it all the time. A better explanation is that the washer pump's so strong it creates a back pressure in the drain line. Try this, next time you wash caulk the hose going into the stand pipe with wet rags. Just jam them around the hose for a watertight connection. If you can wash without the smell get back to me and we'll make it permanent. Regards, Tom
  • Nov 14, 2006, 05:37 PM
    cweg
    "caulk the hose going into the stand pipe with wet rags"

Hi Tom,

I really appreciate hearing back from you! Could you give me a hint how to locate the stand pipe so I can look for the hose going into it? When I look at the piping and hosing, it is all greek to me. I could try taking and attaching a picture if need be.

Thanks,
    Cara
  • Nov 15, 2006, 05:38 AM
    speedball1
    You don't have to post a picture Cara, the standpipe is the upright pipe the washer discharge hose hooks into. Pack it tight so no air escapes and do a load of wash. Let me know, Regards Tom
  • Nov 19, 2006, 04:47 PM
    cweg
    Hi Tom,

It didn't work... still getting sewer smell after using washer. Any other guesses?

Thanks,
    Cara
  • Nov 20, 2006, 07:51 AM
    speedball1
    Cara,

Sniff inside the washer. The smell could be backing up back through the hose.
    If you have blocked off the hose in the standpipe as I've directed then, in effect, you have set up a closed system and unless there is a leak elsewhere the odor should be contained. Regards and let me know, Tom
  • Nov 21, 2006, 07:02 PM
    cweg
    Hi Tom,

My husband thought I may have been a little hasty in saying that the rags didn't help. He noticed that the odor didn't return until after the second load of laundry went through, by which time perhaps the rags had come loose. He'd like to know how to make the wet rag fix permanent. I cannot detect any odor in the washing machine itself.

We have really appreciated your help.
    Thanks, Cara
  • Nov 21, 2006, 10:21 PM
    speedball1
    I need to know the size and material of your washers standpipe. Regards, Tom
  • Nov 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
    cweg
    Tom,

The standpipe is 2" black plastic.

Matt (Cara's husband)
  • Nov 25, 2006, 08:10 AM
    speedball1
    Hi Matt,

They look like this, (See image) It's called a 2" slip to compression fitting and ask for a 2 X 1/1/2" gasket to fit it. Although you have a ABS standpipe and this fitting is PVC just purchase a small can of primer and All Purpose Cement to glue it to your stand pipe. I've had one installed on my 52 year old standpipe for years with no backups or problems. Good luck, Tom