Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Bankruptcy & Debt (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Paying off an old judgement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=83642)

• Apr 17, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Susanr
    Paying off an old judgement
    I have an 10 year old credit card judgement on my credit report. I never responded to any of the collection calls, nor did I go to court to fight the judgement. It happened at the time I was divorcing and I just didn't handle it well.
    I recently contacted the law firm handling the judgement, wanting to try to settle. They informed me the judgement allowed for interest, and now what was a 5,000 debt is now a 12,000 debt. And the law firm will not waive any of the interest. I would really like to take care of this now that I am making a little bit of money, but I can't afford 12,000. I am a single mother, never been able to collect child support, things are tight. How can I get the law firm to work with me and waive the interest?
  • Apr 17, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Lowtax4eva
    You just said it, they won't. If this law firm has kept the debt valid, as in re-filing the documents needed to sue for 10 years they probably have prevented the statute of limitations from expiring and have incurred costs because of this, they may have made a deal to split the interest with the credit card company if they can ever collect.

Have they started any procedures, like taken you to court or anything? Your best bet is to ask if they will stop the interest now (if its still ongoing) if you agree to start making payments, hopefully with a large innitial payment.

They are allowed to charge the interest rate for your credit card, you still owe them the money and the contract for the card should specify the interest rate.
  • Apr 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Well sadly you really actually messed this up, judgements normally expire in 10 years, and unless the company goes back to court to get an additional time, normally unless they think they are going to get money, they just let it die. So most likely had you not said anything, this would have died and they could not have ever collected any money at all, so if you wanted to pay, they would have settled for pennies on a dollar.
    Now they have current info on you, know you may pay, so they can get more time if needed and come after you harder.

So as long as they keep the judgement valid, they can actually start doing more, esp ifyou have a job and bank accounts

Sometimes trying to do the "right thing" on old debts is not always the best legal thing
  • Apr 17, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Susanr
    I haven't had a recent court date. The only court date was the one I didn't go to years ago.
    I tried to disput the debt was mine when I contacted them. Honestly, my ex may have charged up that card. But the law firm holding the judgement says it's too late for that, the debt appears to be all mine. Do you think getting before a judge would do me any good?
    I called and ask for a copy of the judgement & the credit card records so I could see for myself, but the law firm hasn't returned that call or responded to my request.
    Can they start garnishing my wages without taking me back to court?
  • Mar 31, 2008, 12:36 PM
    kat rome
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanr
    I have an 10 year old credit card judgement on my credit report. I never responded to any of the collection calls, nor did I go to court to fight the judgement. It happened at the time I was divorcing and I just didn't handle it well.
    I recently contacted the law firm handling the judgement, wanting to try to settle. They informed me the judgement allowed for interest, and now what was a 5,000 debt is now a 12,000 debt. And the law firm will not waive any of the interest. I would really like to take care of this now that I am making a little bit of money, but I can't afford 12,000. I am a single mother, never been able to collect child support, things are tight. How can I get the law firm to work with me and waive the interest?

I realized this post is a year old,
    Is is possible this person is able to respond to the outcome of this situation?
    I would like to hear her outcome, as I have a similar situation with a judgement I am trying to pay off.
    Thank you,
    Kat
  • Apr 1, 2008, 08:09 AM
    JudyKayTee
    [QUOTE=kat rome]I realized this post is a year old,
    Is is possible this person is able to respond to the outcome of this situation?
    I would like to hear her outcome, as I have a similar situation with a judgement I am trying to pay off.

My feeling is that she made some type of payment arrangement, the interest kept getting added on and the law firm refused to settle for less than the Judgment.

There's a big danger in ignoring legal papers and this is another example of what can happen - and I understand the OP was under a lot of stress when she let it slide.

The law firm also may have levied against a bank account or her salary.