Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Central air soound of running water (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=115492)

• Aug 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
    jef1056
    Central air soound of running water
    Had a new central air system installed. 2 zones with a Hydro Air system.

When the AC runs on the second floor I get a sound like running water from the refrigerant pipes. First floor does not have the problem.
    The tech that installed it has tried a few things but really has no idea of what is causing it.
    Help.
  • Aug 1, 2007, 10:35 AM
    hjk458
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jef1056
    Had a new central air system installed. 2 zones with a Hydro Air system.

When the AC runs on the second floor I get a sound like running water from the refrigerant pipes. First floor does not have the problem.
    The tech that installed it has tried a few things but really has no idea of what is causing it.
    Help.

I had that problem too, the air cond. Guy said it was condensation build up?? Never heard of that but that's what he said.
  • Aug 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
    acetc
    Hydro Air is a chilled water system, where the chilled water is circulated through the fan coil, is this what you have? If this is then you might have air in the upstairs system which may have to be purged fom the system. Air will always go to the highest portion of the system.
    Hope this is helpful, Mike
  • Aug 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
    jef1056
    Maybe I did not say it correctly. I have 2 fan coil units, one in the basement and one in the attic. Hot water is pumped through to provide heat and "freon" goes through a coil for AC.
    The AC has only been installed a month so I don't understand what could have built up.
    Thanks
    John
  • Aug 1, 2007, 06:31 PM
    acetc
    `sometimes when a system is low on refrigerant it will make noise going through the metering devise.
  • Aug 2, 2007, 05:49 AM
    jef1056
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acetc
    `sometimes when a system is low on refrigerant it will make noise going thru the metering devise.

They came and added refrigerant yesterday and it helped a little. But the noise is still there.
  • Aug 2, 2007, 03:29 PM
    acetc
    How confident are you in there ability? May still be low.Check for temperature differential across the coil in the attic (should be 20 degrees)
    Did they check for any kinks in the refrigerant lines that might cause a restriction.
  • Aug 3, 2007, 08:13 AM
    jef1056
    I do,

They mentioned both the low refrigerant and looked for a kink. The job was originally started by a different company that ran the copper through the wall before it was closed up. 3/4" was used and they now think it should have been 7/8". Could that cause the problem?
  • Aug 3, 2007, 09:36 AM
    acetc
    They need to do more investigating of the refrigerant lines the undersized line should not cause the noise but is a concern, a kinked line is a major concern which needs to be checked out .Look for kink at the top of wall where the lines come up the wall and bend into attic as well as where the lines come out of the wall at the out door unit. Some times these kinks are hard to find due to where they are located , Good luck. Mike