Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cooking (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   How to eliminate smell of bacon? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=522443)

• Nov 2, 2010, 07:48 PM
    llinda
    How to eliminate smell of bacon?
    Is there any good way to get rid the smell of bacon? We really like bacon, but every time I cook it it permeates the house for days!
  • Nov 2, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Wondergirl

We bake it. It is more tender and flavorful, yet doesn't stink up the house as much. 350 degree oven (slices laid on a crinkled foil sheet which is on a cookie sheet) for 20 minutes or so.
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:16 PM
    llinda
    Thanks, I agree. But the damage has already been done. Maybe a bowl of charcoal...
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:20 PM
    kp2171
    Baked bacon is The Best Ever. E-V-A

For days? Really? We cook it almost every other weekend and, while it lingers, it isn't the dominant olfactory sensation for days...
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
    llinda
    Thank you, I agree. But the damage has already been done... Maybe put some bowls of charcoal briquettes around to absorb the smell? Boy, it really bothers me.
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:24 PM
    Wondergirl

Spray Fabreeze on cushions and drapes, sprinkle carpet freshener and vacuum, light a fragrant candle, clean the bathroom with Lysol, light and partially burn matches while walking around the house and blow them out, allowing the smoke to float into the air, air out the house by opening windows.
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:29 PM
    kp2171
    Boiling water with lemons/lemonjuice can do wonders, in my dishonest opinion.
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Wondergirl

Or simmer vanilla or cinnamon in water.
  • Nov 2, 2010, 08:34 PM
    kp2171
    Or both. Cinnamon with vanilla was a really popular kitchen candle scent when I ran a candle biz some time back..
  • Nov 3, 2010, 03:56 AM
    Just_Another_Lemming

I find when the floors have been mopped with Pine Sol, boy do all the other odors fall into the background! In addition to WG's suggestion of the bathrooms, spraying the kitchen with Lysol deodorizer will help break up the odor.

Personally, I prefer the odor of bacon over Pine Sol or Lysol. Much more homier scent. I loves me bacon. :)
  • Nov 3, 2010, 05:45 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    I luvs me bacon. :)

Hello l:

I WISH my house smelled like bacon... I make ham hocks and beans. It's one of my favorite comfort foods... Those pork ham hocks spread their deliciousness throughout my house, and I LOVE it..

Yeah, I'm a little weird.

excon
  • Dec 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
    chefpierce
    Baking soda... Open a box in the kitchen and let it sit, or where ever you rest your bacon... Over time it will dissipate, but until then, crack a box of the good ol arm and hammer!
  • Dec 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by llinda View Post
    How to eliminate smell of bacon?

Hello, llinda:

Cook fish.

excon