Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=27673)

• Jun 12, 2006, 07:44 AM
    jamsfowler
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself
    Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble.

After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. Sometimes it will turn off and on again, kind of flashing.

We do have a TV remote in the same room. Would that affect the fan's and light's operation?

What is wrong?
  • Jun 12, 2006, 08:33 AM
    ceilingfanrepair
    Yes, you need to change the frequency of the fan and it's remote:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...e-controls.php
  • Jun 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
    jamsfowler
    Thank you, I will give it a try
  • Jun 28, 2006, 07:47 PM
    dptaylor11
    Just wondering if you found changing the frequency helped? I have a Hampton Bay and have been reading several posts that they "have a mind of their own". My Hampton lights come on, go off, fan comes on and goes off by itself ALL THE TIME! Nothing we have tried has worked.
  • Jun 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    What have you tried? It is almost always a frequency problem easily fixed. See the link above.
  • Jun 28, 2006, 09:22 PM
    dptaylor11
    Fan Man :) I have been searching your posts because I have another problem that I haven't found addressed yet. One of the bulbs burned out and we replaced it... now ALL of the lights are dimmer. They are not at their volts. I had our neighbor come over w/ a volt reader thing and he said the wall switch was at 120 volts but the fan lights are only @ 40. There are 3 lights in part of the fan and then on the top it has like 6 little lights. Each bulb for the light that shines down is suppose to be 40 watts... The best way to describe it is... it looks like Christmas lights that 1/2 the string has blown a fuse or something where they don't shine as bright..

I tried the frequency thing... but I'm not sure if I know how to do it right. I printed off your instructions from your link to give to my husband, maybe he can figure it out. I have all four of the little "dip" switches up in the remote and in the fan.

Are they suppose to be at different levels? 1 & 3 up and 2 & 4 down? How do I know how to set it?
  • Jun 28, 2006, 09:38 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    It doesn't matter how you set them, as long as they are the same for the fan and remote.

Is this the same fan, with the light problem? If not, does the light-problem-fan have a remote?
  • Jun 28, 2006, 09:41 PM
    dptaylor11
    Yes. Same fan...
  • Jun 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    Sometimes when a bulb burns out it will short out something in the remote receiver. I'm not sure how or why or if it can be fixed easily, other than replacing the receiver (or the fan, if it's under warranty). This is usually only a problem in cheap remotes/receivers. I can't forsee what would be the problem other than the receiver if the light was working fine, a bulb blew, now it isn't, and nothing else changed.
  • Jun 28, 2006, 09:55 PM
    dptaylor11
    What a pain! I went to Home Depot, told the person in the lighting department my problems about 2 months ago... which this has been going on since we got the fan.. did some research on the net and tried the frequency thing... just went from all down to all up on the dip switches.

The person @ Home Depot told me they had never heard of the Hampton Bay's having ANY problems. The lights being dim is what made me go to Home Depot so I could by new bulbs, didn't think I got the right ones or something.

I guess when we get the new remote we will set the frequency different and see how that works.? Right?
  • Jun 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    I would take the entire fan back to Home Depot for a replacement under warranty. Changing the frequency won't fix the lights. Hampton Bays are NOTORIOUS for problems!
  • Jul 23, 2007, 08:52 PM
    harveybax
    Hi,
    I am glad I read your story. I am having the same problem with a fan installed almost 2 years ago. Unlike yours, ours started turning the light or the fan on and off only a few months ago. I am glad to know we are not going crazy. It too is a Hampton Bay fan. Unfortunately we our out on our warranty. Any suggesstions? Good luck with yours.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 09:43 PM
    ceilingfanrepair
    Try changing the frequency.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
  • Jan 1, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Theo_B
    I've had a problem over the past year with one of the two lights turning on and off at random and now the light doesn't work at all. All other functions with the remote work (upper light, fan speeds). Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Oct 12, 2011, 04:42 AM
    mazurj
    Check the solenoid
  • Aug 6, 2013, 12:25 PM
    nellasenoj
    I had the same problem and just fixed it with a few Q-tips and alcohol. Take the remote control apart (5 little phillip head screws) and clean the contacts with the alcohol.

It took me all of five minutes and now it's working as good as new.

Allen