Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Democrat culture of corruption continues? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=318010)

• Feb 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
    speechlesstx
    Democrat culture of corruption continues?
    Now that the Dems have weeded out some of the tax dodgers it's time for another two-step... two steps forward, one step back or something like that. In case you missed it, it turns out that Obama's replacement Roland Burris may have perjured himself and may be caught on the Blago tapes.

Quote:

U.S. Sen. Roland Burris tried Sunday to quell new questions about his controversial appointment, insisting he shouldn't be blamed for only recently detailing his conversations about the job with five close associates of disgraced former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The Chicago Democrat said he didn't provide a full explanation because nobody pressed the point during his sworn testimony last month to House lawmakers who impeached Blagojevich. He accused Republicans of playing politics by calling for an investigation into whether he committed perjury and even asking for his resignation.

But Burris' evolving explanation of what happened took another twist when he said federal investigators want to talk about his appointment to the Senate seat that Blagojevich was charged with trying to sell.

"What I understand is some of the agents have reached out to my lawyers," Burris said, adding "they want to meet with me."

Burris attorney Timothy Wright acknowledged Burris may be on a covert recording in the Blagojevich investigation but declined to explain the senator's comment about meeting with federal agents, saying "the FBI has not come to us and they're not asking us for anything."

Burris, a former attorney general, alternately looked nervous and feisty at a hastily arranged news conference in Chicago just a day before he was to embark on a statewide listening tour to meet the constituents he has represented for about a month. At times, Burris and his lawyer gave contradictory answers or no answers when pressed on whether he told the whole truth about his role.
    It's a good thing the Dems have replaced that GOP culture of corruption, right?
  • Feb 16, 2009, 11:03 AM
    tomder55
    This was Feb 5 but the news conveniently did not come out until the day after Burris was an important part of the 60 votes the Dems needed to pass the bucket list .

Maybe Turbotax wasn't working properly .

BTW . Why hasn't Fitzgerald indicted Blago yet ?
  • Feb 17, 2009, 11:13 AM
    speechlesstx
    It's getting much closer to being able to prove Burris perjured himself. He says the reason he didn't disclose Blago's demand for 10 grand from his brother was he wasn't asked about it. Turns out he was given ample opportunity to come clean.

I wonder if Harry Reid is regretting his cave-in on seating him?
  • Feb 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
    tomder55
    Quote:

I wonder if Harry Reid is regretting his cave-in on seating him?
    Not at all . He got what he wanted from Burris ;that decisive vote on the bucket list.

Remember ;Reid and Obama had to send a jet (at taxpayer's expense*) to pick up Sen. Sherrod Brown ;who interupted the memorial service for his mother to rush back to DC for the vote. That's how close it was.

But now that Burris' work is done expect him to be thrown under the bus.

*edit : if they wanted some consistency they should've made Brown take a hybrid convoy back to DC
  • Feb 17, 2009, 01:24 PM
    George_1950

Here's aother one than deserves a promotion into federal service: "Republicans, who hold majorities in both chambers, blocked Gov. Kathleen Sebelius' proposal to borrow $225 million from healthy state funds to cover shortages in accounts used to meet the state's payroll and issue tax refunds." How complicated is income = budget?
    Kansas may delay tax refunds, paychecks | Breaking News | Kansas.com
  • Feb 18, 2009, 06:34 AM
    speechlesstx
    The Chicago Tribune has called on Burris to resign. As they say it just keeps getting deeper and deeper...

Quote:

The hole just gets deeper and deeper, and Burris keeps digging. He has no credibility.

And many Democrats are losing theirs.

Illinois House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie (D-Chicago), who chaired the impeachment panel, sat on Burris’ amended testimony for more than a week.

U.S. Sen. Durbin and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid vowed that no Senate appointment by the disgraced Rod Blagojevich would stand—until Blagojevich appointed Burris.

They told Burris to go to the impeachment committee and testify fully and truthfully. And he did not.

And now what? "He went before the state Legislature and he obviously convinced them, but we’ll have to see… I hope he didn’t try to avoid or mislead anyone..." Reid said Tuesday. Durbin is on an overseas trip and hasn’t bothered to comment on the tomfoolery back home.
    Currie received the affidavit on Feb. 4th and held it until Obama's porkulus was passed so good call tom. And Reid? "I hope he didn’t try to avoid or mislead anyone."

What a bunch of frauds... and they've just managed to screw the American people for a trillion dollars. I hope the 3 turncoat Reps are happy with themselves now.
  • Feb 18, 2009, 07:05 AM
    tomder55

Reid's Senate Ethics Committee will hold a dog and pony show and Burris most likely will be absolved with a slap of the wrist. After-all ;he did not *really* lie... just withheld some important information from the Impeachment hearings.

I think otherwise Burris survives at least until he gets challenged in the 2010 primaries. Reid would not risk expulsion given the block of voters Burris represents.
  • Feb 18, 2009, 08:10 AM
    George_1950
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    ... I think otherwise Burris survives at least until he gets challenged in the 2010 primaries. Reid would not risk expulsion given the block of voters Burris represents.

I say, let's keep him around unless those goofs call a special election.
  • Feb 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
    tomder55

Yeah but I have to revise my comments . The Trib is one thing ;but now the Washington Compost is jumping on the resignation bandwagon

washingtonpost.com

When the Slimes chimes in I don't think Rev Al will be able to save Burris .
  • Feb 18, 2009, 09:17 AM
    George_1950
    Quote:

yeah but I have to revise my comments . The Trib is one thing ;but now the Washington Compost is jumping on the resignation bandwagon

Let's start a "Keep Burris For The Common Good Committee". Conservatives shouldn't waste a good issue; the Slimes and Compost understand.
  • Feb 18, 2009, 09:20 PM
    George_1950

More corruption? "The federal investigation, however, did not stop Stanford from using corporate money to become a big man at last year's Democratic convention in Denver.

"A video posted on the firm's web-site shows Stanford, now sought by U.S. Marshals, being hugged by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and praised by former President Bill Clinton for helping to finance a convention-related forum and party put on by the National Democratic Institute... Over the last decade, Stanford has spent more than $7 million on lobbyists and campaign contributions to Washington politics in both parties, although the vast majority of the money has gone to Democrats." ABC News: Accused Financier Under Federal Drug Investigation
  • Feb 19, 2009, 04:11 AM
    tomder55

Still more... Rahmbo is in trouble . [posting complete article because of subscription requirements.]

Quote:

NEWS broke last week that Rahm Emanuel, now White House chief of staff, lived rent- free for years in the home of Rep. Rosa De Lauro (D-Conn.) - and failed to disclose the gift, as congressional ethics rules mandate. But this is only the tip of Emanuel's previously undislosed ethics problems. One issue is the work Emanuel tossed the way of De Lauro's husband. But the bigger one goes back to Emanuel's days on the board of now-bankrupt mortgage giant Freddie Mac. Emanuel is a multimillionaire, but lived for the last five years for free in the tony Capitol Hill townhouse owned by De Lauro and her husband, Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg. During that time, he also served as chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee - which gave Greenberg huge polling contracts. It paid Greenberg's firm $239,996 in 2006 and $317,775 in 2008. (Emanuel's own campaign committee has also paid Greenberg more than $50,000 since 2004.) To be fair, Greenberg had polling contracts with the DCCC before - but each new election cycle brings its own set of consultants. And Emanuel was certainly generous with his roommate. Emanuel never declared the substantial gift of free rent on any of his financial-disclosure forms. He and De Lauro claim that it was just allowable "hospitality" between colleagues. Hospitality - for five years? Some experts suggest that it was also taxable income: Over five years, the free rent could easily add up to more than $100,000. Nor is this all that seems to have been missed in the Obama team's vetting process. Consider: Emanuel served on the Freddie Mac board of directors during the time that the government-backed lender lied about its earnings, a leading contributor to the current economic meltdown. The Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight Agency later singled out the Freddie Mac board as contributing to the fraud in 2000 and 2001 for "failing in its duty to follow up on matters brought to its attention." In other words, board members ignored the red flags waving in their faces. The SEC later fined Freddie $50 million for its deliberate fraud in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Meanwhile, Emanuel was paid more than $260,000 for his Freddie "service." Plus, after he resigned from the board to run for Congress in 2002, the troubled agency's PAC gave his campaign $25,000 - its largest single gift to a House candidate. That's what friends are for, isn't it? Now Rahm Emanuel is in the White House helping President Obama dig out of the mess that Freddie Mac helped start. The president's chief of staff isn't subject to Senate confirmation, but his ethics still matter. Is this the change that we can depend on?
    https://secure.nypost.com/newsletter/register.htm
  • Feb 19, 2009, 07:13 AM
    tomder55

More on the Stanford problem George posted .

Depositors turned away from Stanford banks

FT.com / Companies / Financials - Stanford vanishes as probe widens
    There was a run on his banks overseas .
  • Feb 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Democrat culture of corruption continues?

Hello Steve:

If you looked out there in the world, you'd find a lot of bad guys. That wouldn't make a culture of corruption among men, would it?

Given your title, I think you would.

Me, being a better person than you, would NEVER paint the entire GOP with the same swishy brush that I'd paint, say Foley or the wide stance guy.

excon
  • Feb 19, 2009, 07:48 AM
    tomder55

Clearly Steve was using a play on the verbage that the Dems used in the 2006 campaign and the Frist and Abramoff scandals .
  • Feb 19, 2009, 07:56 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

clearly Steve was using a play on the verbage that the Dems used in the 2006 campaign and the Frist and Abramoff scandals .

Are you and steve the same person?
  • Feb 19, 2009, 07:59 AM
    speechlesstx
    What tom said. I'm surprised you didn't get it, ex, or did you? It'sblatantly obviousand the irony is soooo delicious. Now can we just weed out all the miscreants in Washington?
  • Feb 19, 2009, 08:03 AM
    NeedKarma
    Cool, you're using Michelle Malkin talking points now: The Democratic Culture Of Corruption -- Michelle Malkin -- GOPUSA
  • Feb 19, 2009, 08:03 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    What tom said. I'm surprised you didn't get it, ex, or did you?

Hello again, Steve:

No, I didn't get it. I'm just an overly sensitive, namby pamby, wishy washy, teddy bear of a lib.

excon
  • Feb 19, 2009, 08:45 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Cool, you're using Michelle Malkin talking points now: The Democratic Culture Of Corruption -- Michelle Malkin -- GOPUSA

I can and do actually think and articulate. Perhaps Michelle borrowed from me? I referred to it on Oct 13, 2008, two months before the date of Michelle's column. I've sarcastically referred to their 2006 campaign mantra since William Jefferson was caught with 90K in his freezer in 2006, again when Spitzer got stung, and first used the phrase here last September.

You just never learn do you?