Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Movies (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=410)
-   -   Movie about boy surviving in wilderness after parents are killed in RV accident (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=243011)

• Jul 29, 2008, 11:30 AM
    y2kmajor
    Movie about boy surviving in wilderness after parents are killed in RV accident
    I saw this movie about 15 years ago and would love to but it but we cannot remember the title. If anyone can help, we would be very grateful. The movie is about a family that goes on a camping trip in a RV (motorhome). When they stop along the way, the young boy gets out to look at the scenery, the RV rolls backwards, and falls off a cliff killing both of his parents. The boy is forced to hike out through the wilderness and runs into an old hermit who forces him to learn how to live off the land. The hermit seems very mean to the boy at first but he needed to be because the old man was dying and knew the boy would need those skills in order to survive. In the and, the old man died and the boy survived with the skills taught to him by the old man.
  • Jul 29, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Honeythorn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kmajor
    I saw this movie about 15 years ago and would love to but it but we cannot remember the title. If anyone can help, we would be very grateful. The movie is about a family that goes on a camping trip in a RV (motorhome). When they stop along the way, the young boy gets out to look at the scenery, the RV rolls backwards, and falls off a cliff killing both of his parents. The boy is forced to hike out through the wilderness and runs into an old hermit who forces him to learn how to live off the land. The hermit seems very mean to the boy at first but he needed to be because the old man was dying and knew the boy would need those skills in order to survive. In the nd, the old man died and the boy survived with the skills taught to him by the old man.

The Earthling

William Holden is terminally ill with cancer, so, tired of drifting, he returns to his native Australia intending to live out his last few months alone. Ricky Schroder is a city boy lost in the remote backcountry after his parents are killed in an accident. Holden can't take the boy back to civilization, so he reluctantly takes him along to the valley where he wishes to die, and along the way teaches him the survival skills he will need to make it out on his own. Ironically, at the time of filming, the director of the film, Peter Collinson, was himself dying of the same cancer Holden's character had, and died shortly after he finished the film, but the irony does not make it into the film. This is no Walkabout; still, it is an enjoyable low-key character study about a doomed man redeemed by the love of a boy, with some beautiful photography of the Australian outback. Watch it with a kid.
  • Feb 26, 2010, 10:31 PM
    andrewkeating1
    I thought I was trying to find the title of the same movie, but the discription in the answer you agreed with doesn't sound like it. Was there a zipline involved in the movie you described?
  • Feb 27, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Quinn F
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewkeating1 View Post
    I thought I was trying to find the title of the same movie, but the discription in the answer you agreed with doesn't sound like it. Was there a zipline involved in the movie you described?

You may be looking for Kid Colter
  • Feb 27, 2010, 10:41 AM
    andrewkeating1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn F View Post
    You may be looking for Kid Colter

Thank you. That's the movie. I've thought about this movie several times a year for the past ten years or so, and nobody ever seems to remember it. Thanks again.
  • Feb 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Quinn F

Glad to help.
  • Jul 27, 2010, 11:52 PM
    christb

I have been trying to find the name of the movie for sooo long... He( the boy) buries his parents with stones... little rocks

Loved that movie... WHAT IS IT CALLED!!
    LOL
  • Jul 28, 2010, 12:03 AM
    christb
    Just so you know... the movie I am talking about is not... Kid Colter
  • Sep 9, 2010, 04:46 PM
    ryanhaus79
    This was a great movie. The name of the movie you are referring to is "The Earthling" (1980) go to The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) for reference.
  • Feb 15, 2011, 07:29 PM
    jbrionesmoch
    The movie is The Earthling (1980).
    It's about this kid (Ricky Schroeder) whose parents die when the RV falls over a cliff. A guy who's dying finds him and shows him how to survive.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080671/

Storyline
    Patrick Foley has been on the move all his live. Tired of drifting, he wants to spend his last days in an isolated Australian valley where he grew up. On his difficult journey he meets Shawn, a little desperate city-boy whose parents were killed in an accident in this remote inhospitable territory. Being unable to accompany the boy back to the civilized world he reluctantly takes him with him on his trip to that valley and teaches him in a rugged way how to survive...
  • Feb 24, 2012, 03:42 AM
    CharlieWhaite
    THE EARTHING... I too have been searching for this film.. father tried to move back away from cliff while mother was in back and it rolls off the edge. THIS IS IT... NOT KID COLTER
  • Feb 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
    shelnelinscore
    1973 by JEAN George. My Side of the Mountain, I amlooking for the movie, bookie rare but available. I'm looking for 80 Steps to Jonah, wayne Newton and young don Johnson.
  • May 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
    tono
    You guys are awesome and have great taste in movies!! Anyway this movie came out when movies and family night meant something!! Thank you and should any more questions I now to go great web site!!
  • Feb 11, 2016, 01:06 AM
    mzlettelette
    The Earthling I've been looking for this movie for years I saw the movie about 20 years ago when I was around 4-ish. Never been able to find it till now.