Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cats (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   How to get cat out from under a house? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=63538)

• Feb 16, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Hallie_Benton
    How to get cat out from under a house?
    There is a cat (not ours!) in the crawl space under the house. We can hear it meow, but we can't get it to come out. The only exit is through the garage, which we usually keep closed. It must have run in one day when we were walking the dog. The cat has been there for several days, with no food or water, meowing plaintively. How do we get it out before it dies? Any suggestions?
  • Feb 16, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Nosnosna
    You have a few options:

Get a live animal trap from a vet, the humane society, or if all else fails the hardware store. Bait it with some cat food (part of a can of tuna will work), and then remove it and release the cat.

Call the humane society or animal control to come out and get the cat. They'll know what to do and how to do it.

Leave the door open to outside and let the cat find its own way out.

Whichever of these you choose, put out a bowl of water in the crawlspace immediately... I'm sure the cat needs it by now.
  • Oct 15, 2009, 06:26 PM
    hheerrss
    Just wait. Before long, it will need to come out. When it gets used to society and the environment around it, it will be brave enough to come out. I recently had a small kitten under my house and all I did was wait. It soon cane out. One of my nieces let her out though, so she now is under our house again... but once again, I'll just wait.
  • Oct 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
    hheerrss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosnosna View Post
    You have a few options:

Get a live animal trap from a vet, the humane society, or if all else fails the hardware store. Bait it with some cat food (part of a can of tuna will work), and then remove it and release the cat.

Call the humane society or animal control to come out and get the cat. They'll know what to do and how to do it.

Leave the door open to outside and let the cat find its own way out.

Whichever of these you choose, put out a bowl of water in the crawlspace immediately... I'm sure the cat needs it by now.

Sometimes, that doesn't always work. If it's a cat, then it might work, but for a kitten, I don't think so.
  • Oct 16, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Sariss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hheerrss View Post
    Just wait. Before long, it will need to come out. When it gets used to society and the enviroment around it, it will be brave enough to come out. I recently had a small kitten under my house and all I did was wait. It soon cane out. One of my nieces let her out though, so she now is under our house again.....but once again, I'll just wait.

That can be dangerous. If it's scared enough, the cat will starve to death before coming out.
  • Oct 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Cat1864
    Hopefully, at sometime in the past 32 months, the cat came out.
  • Oct 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Sariss

o_O should have checked the date
  • Oct 17, 2009, 08:39 AM
    hheerrss

That is true, Sariss. Good point. But then again, all you have to do is put a little food out so at night, when no one is around, it will come out and eat.
  • Oct 17, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Cat1864
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hheerrss View Post
    That is true, Sariss. Good point. But then again, all you have to do is put a little food out so at night, when no one is around, it will come out and eat.

That is actually a bad idea from the stand point that the food will attract other animals, such as racoons, opossums, stray dogs, rats, foxes, etc. In other words, you don't know what you are feeding and it probably won't be the animal that want to.
  • Oct 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
    hheerrss

Okkkkk... you got me. That's a reasonable explanation.