Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Toilet Noise (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=28175)

• Jun 22, 2006, 06:44 PM
    rozwitte
    Toilet Noise
    One of our toilets makes a loud noise, which seems to be coming from the pipes. It kind of sounds like there may be air or that the water is having trouble getting through the pipes. The noise starts once the tank is about half empty. Any ideas?
  • Jun 22, 2006, 10:02 PM
    letmetellu
    Is this a banging noise or a gushing noise... there is not enough info to tell you very much.
  • Jun 23, 2006, 06:42 AM
    speedball1
    We really need more details before we can help.
    Are there bubbles coming from the bowl? When do you hear this noise? When the toilet's flushing or filling? Describe the sound. How old is your house? Did the noise start suddenly or come on gradually? Any other problems we should know about? Regards, Tom
  • Jun 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
    rozwitte
    Here's responses to questions:
    1. No bubbling in bowl
    2. Noise occurs after flushing and bowl is filling, towards the end, also doesn't occur every flush, but 2-3X/day after several hours between flushes
    3. Filling at at end
    4. Sound is a loud extended hum in the walls
    5. 5+ years old
    6. Suddently appeared starting once/day and increasing to 2-3X/day
  • Jun 23, 2006, 02:37 PM
    speedball1
    OK Roz, I've got it.

I've had this problem before. The problem originates in the ballcock and is picked up by the pipes on the wall due to a phenomenon know as "sympathetic vibration".
    You can go at this several ways.
    1) the next time the noise starts start to back off the angle stop located under the tank counterclockwise until the noise stops --or--
    2) Shut the water off to the tank at the angle stop. Take the lid off and remove the three screws from the top of the ballcock and pull up the float ball, rod and plunger assembly. Pry out the rubber washer and turn it over. Before you reassemble the ball cock put something over the open ballcock and turn the water on for a few seconds to flush out the supply line. Reassemble and test. Good luck, tom
  • Oct 14, 2009, 05:42 AM
    denizen44
    Wow, this worked!
    Thanks so much.
  • Oct 14, 2009, 05:48 AM
    speedball1
    Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update. Tom
  • Nov 1, 2010, 05:37 PM
    blazer45
    What really causes that toilet noise? Is it by not constructed well?
  • Nov 2, 2010, 05:39 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer45 View Post
    What really causes that toilet noise? Is it by not constructed well?

Blaze,
    Go back and read the posts. Do you have a problem that we haven't covered? Let me know, Tom
  • Dec 9, 2012, 12:58 PM
    eiramm9999
    Some weird sound, my house is 13 yrs. Old w/a tall pine tree in front of main entrance as old as house. Could it be the roots reaching pipes because I haven't heard the noise before.
  • Dec 9, 2012, 01:03 PM
    eiramm9999
    The sounds coming from toilet bowl is not gurgling sound, I can't describe it well but it is not very loud, but you can hear it when you're close to it. I can not remember where I read about it and what those sounds meant but got a friend telling me that the roots of the pine tree in front of my house close to front window might have reached pipes and that will cost a lot of money to repair it.
  • Dec 9, 2012, 01:18 PM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eiramm9999 View Post
    some weird sound, my house is 13 yrs. old w/a tall pine tree in front of main entrance as old as house. could it be the roots reaching pipes coz I haven't heard the noise before.

Describe the noise. Where's it coming from? More details, please. Tom
  • Mar 31, 2013, 05:50 PM
    vcampbel
    The clickimg noise is at one end of house when you flush toilet or use washing machine at other end of house and there is atoilet at the where the noise is