Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   I am thinking of adopting another dachshund (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=97300)

• May 31, 2007, 06:52 AM
    kattygirl
    I am thinking of adopting another dachshund
    My husband and I have been thinking of adopting another dachshund. While looking on petfinder one of my friends mentioned to me that you never ever place 2 neutered males together or 2 spayed females together you always go male to female. Is that true? And we haven't fixed Z yet since he has never been aggressive or sprayed his scent so will it really matter if we get another boy dog?
  • May 31, 2007, 07:00 AM
    bushg
    My sister has 2 daschund males one is 14 the other 3 years old.. she never had them neutered... although I think it is better for the dogs... prostate cancer... over breeding... aggression.. but her dogs get along just fine. Hope this helps
  • May 31, 2007, 07:01 AM
    paganheart71
    It really depends on the age differents. One might want to dominate. If you get them fixed I'd do it at the same time. They should get along if there isn't a female living there.
  • May 31, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Tuscany
    You should be OK as long as they are both neutered. But, you need to assert yourself as pack leader, then you won't have to worry about them fighting to establish dominenance.
  • May 31, 2007, 07:50 AM
    tiffandsam14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kattygirl
    My husband and i have been thinking of adopting another dachshund. While looking on petfinder one of my friends mentioned to me that you never ever place 2 neutered males together or 2 spayed females together you always go male to female. Is that true? And we haven't fixed Z yet since he has never been aggresive or sprayed his scent so will it really matter if we get another boy dog?

No. It should not really matter that much. If Z starts to act aggressive, then maybe you should consider getting Z fixed.
  • May 31, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Topperthedog
    The very general rule is that a male/female pair will do better than a same sex pair because obviously the potential for same sex aggression is reduced.

Generally speaking, unless you have a breed that has a strong tendency toward same sex aggression or a dog that is on the very dominant side, the problem of same sex aggression is relatively small compared to other potential problems. However, if there are other potential behavior problems, it may aggrevate them to a greater degree than if the pair were different sexes - 'Dogs drool, Girls rule', that sort of thing.

In my experience the boys tend to rumble more than the girls, but usually sort it out amongst themselves. Girl fights can be quite nasty and re-homing one of the dogs sometimes is the only way to go.

I would probably let it be a guiding factor in my decision to get a dog, but not necessarily a deciding factor.
  • May 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
    labman
    A gambler would take the male/female at even odds. The conventional wisdom is that female/female is most likely to result in insoluble problems and rehoming as mentioned. Spay/neutering helps getting along with other dogs along with many other problems. It is a no brainer.

If you just must have another male, as the breeder for a lower ranking member of the litter. If you get a blank look, run, don't walk away. We have a huge problem with totally clueless people breeding dogs.
  • May 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
    kattygirl
    Thanks all. And don't worry Labman I promise not to try breeding my pets. I barely know what to feed them let alone what to do with pups. I figure there are enough animals out there now so I never buy from breeders and only take in animals who have or are about to be abandoned. So far it has really just been cats but my first dog has went well and so I figure I will try it again.
  • May 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Tuscany
    Katty-

There are many Doxie rescue organizations on the net. Check them out if Petfinder does not work out for you.
  • Jun 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
    MrPippin
    One simple but sometimes obvious thing to do is to take your current dog and introduce them to the dog you are thinking about adopting. I did this when I adopted my Roti (a Katrina Rescue). I asked that I be allowed to put my female lab/husky in with her before I committed to adopting her. They started playing and haven't stopped yet. I had more trouble intrducing my German Shepard into the pack as he is fine until challenged by another dog. But dog packs pretty quickly establish every dogs position in the pack and as long as a dog stays in its position harmony exist. It is when another member of the pack challenges for control that problems occur. This could be a problem with two evenly matched doxies. If one can not establish a clear and decisive leadership position then challenges may continue and this can result in a lot of trips to the vet for stitches.