Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   PC freezes is motherboard only option left? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=78986)

• Apr 3, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Bigmonty
    PC freezes is motherboard only option left?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

A few weeks ago I purchased the following:

- Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB)
    - Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 MotherboardGeIL(Bios 0501)
    - 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
    - OCUK 520w PSU
    - Tuniq 120
    - BFG 8800gt 320
    - Couple of amber fans
    - Seagate 320gb hd
    - Windows XP

I have tried overclocking it but have now put it back to factory defaults.

Under normal conditions my PC appears fine (i.e browsing internet or playing games). However as soon as I start to download something on usenet the PC will freeze after about 30 minutes to two hours. It doesn't matter which Newsreader I use the same thing happens with everyone!

I have tried running Orthos for hours without downloading from the net and it seems fine as does temps in Coretemp. I have also tried reseating my heatsink.

I have also tried swapping out my new RAM and graphics cards for old ones and reinstalling windows with Vista and then back to XP and the problem still exists. I have also tried two different hard drives and run Seatools on my Seagate with no errors.

I am now at a loss for what to try next any ideas or any other way I can test this. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard it broken. One of the Sata connectors on the board was broken when I received it but as there were three others I have not sent it back, should I?

Many thanks.
    David
  • Apr 3, 2007, 11:58 PM
    paradoxlie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmonty
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

A few weeks ago I purchased the following:

- Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB)
    - Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 MotherboardGeIL(Bios 0501)
    - 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
    - OCUK 520w PSU
    - Tuniq 120
    - BFG 8800gt 320
    - Couple of amber fans
    - Seagate 320gb hd
    - Windows XP

I have tried overclocking it but have now put it back to factory defaults.

Under normal conditions my PC appears fine (i.e browsing internet or playing games). However as soon as I start to download something on usenet the PC will freeze after about 30 mins to two hours. It doesn't matter which Newsreader I use the same thing happens with everyone!

I have tried running Orthos for hours without downloading from the net and it seems fine as does temps in Coretemp. I have also tried reseating my heatsink.

I have also tried swapping out my new RAM and graphics cards for old ones and reinstalling windows with Vista and then back to XP and the problem still exists. I have also tried two different hard drives and run Seatools on my Seagate with no errors.

I am now at a loss for what to try next any ideas or any other way I can test this. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard it broken. One of the Sata connectors on the board was broken when I received it but as there were three others I have not sent it back, should I?

Many thanks.
    David

I think that this is a bogus question. From everything that you submitted... I smell a rat