Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Hair Care (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=500)
-   -   I dyed my hair & want to perm it (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=307754)

• Jan 23, 2009, 07:22 PM
    kristine36
    I dyed my hair & want to perm it
    In about september (maybe August) I bought a grocery store dye for my hair and I loved the way it turned out. Now I want to perm my hair but because I didn't have it professionally dyed I was wondering if anyone could tell me about how long I can or should wait before I perm my hair

Thanks!
    k
  • Jan 24, 2009, 09:00 PM
    EricaVonGore

At least one month. You don't want to overwhelm your hair with too many harsh chemicals
  • Jan 25, 2009, 06:02 AM
    rwinterton

Many people mistakenly believe that hair "heals" or "gets better" over time. That is simply not true. Hair has no blood supply (except at the root, but that doesn't get to the ends). If you damage it, it can't be repaired. Damage accumulates and eventually the hair shaft can break if it's damaged enough. Fortunately, hair can take quite a bit of damage before it breaks off and we usually cut it before that occurs.

A "professional" can often cause as much damage to hair as an "amateur". In fact, since they usually use heat to speed up the reaction, they often end up causing more damage to the hair than if you did it at room temperature, at home.

Most experts recommend against perming and coloring.

Bottle Blondes Board: Coloring and perming
  • Jan 26, 2009, 08:40 PM
    jenn4094u

Go to a salon and ask a few different opinions of stylists that are trained to make these judgement calls. I, myself, will not perm someone's hair if it is too damaged, not even to make a buck. There are many honest, qualified stylists that can look at the condition of your hair and tell you what to do. Go to 3 different salons and ask a couple of stylists at each one, but don't tell them you have consulted other stylists and just see what they say.
  • Feb 18, 2009, 01:50 PM
    rwinterton

What a shame that people who are "professionals" don't understand chemistry. "Hair Colors" are dyes, whether they're called dyes or not. In addition, "professional" hairstylists seldom know anything more than they were taught in school about coloring hair or how to "fix" damaged hair.

I stand by my advice that essentially all truly professional colorists recommend against both coloring and perming.

I am a professional also -- a Ph.D. Chemist. I know more about dyes than the professionals will ever know. I know about the strength of hair (and how it can be damaged) and the chemistry of the hair.

Professional hair dyes are not "better" than those available in "boxed" kits. The chemistry is identical. The ingredients are identical. Non-professionals can buy most of the same dyes (colors) at beauty supply houses. Those that they can't purchase can almost always be purchased online.

It is true that inexperienced people can damage their own hair -- by overbleaching, by overcoloring, and by perming on top of color (or vice-versa).