Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Internet & the Web (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Turned modem off and back on, now desktop comp. Not finding the internet (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=298141)

• Jan 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Wondering Along
    Turned modem off and back on, now desktop comp. not finding the internet
    I had a problem accessing the internet with my laptop, so I turned our modem off, then back on. Actually the laptop had a different issue, but it was a quick fix, and now my laptop can access the internet again (yay!). Unfortunately, now the desktop computer is not finding the internet (I cannot access a webpage using either Windows Explorer or Firefox). I have tried turning everything off and unplugging the modem for a minute, then plugging it back in and turning everything on again - the desktop computer still can't access the internet. I feel like there must be an obvious, quick fix - any help would be appreciated!:(
  • Jan 2, 2009, 10:01 AM
    ITstudent2006

Are you hardwired to the modem or going through a router for wireless for both your lapto and desktop?
  • Jan 2, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Wondering Along

The laptop is wireless. I'm not sure about the desktop. It doesn't have the little "searching for wireless connections" icon so it might be hardwired to it.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
    ITstudent2006

Well hoow do you conect the desktop to the router? If there is an ethernet cable going from your desktop to the router then it's not wireless, if there is no cable then it's wireless. Most desktops don't have built in wirless cards, most use after market or Wi-Fi USB Adapters.

Did this desktop work on the internet before?
    Do you have a USB Adapter in it!
    Does it suport wirless?

Let me know!
  • Jan 2, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Wondering Along

Yup, I'm seeing lots of cables. :)
  • Jan 2, 2009, 10:40 AM
    ITstudent2006

OK OK.
    Does one look like a thick phone cable with a jack on the end that looks like a big phone jack (this would be your ethernet cable) usually it's blue or green but can be any color.

Look at your router how many cables are plugged into the 4-port switch. I'm just trying to figure out if your computer is wirless capable or not and how you connect to te internet.

Ps. Did it work on the internet before??
  • Jan 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Wondering Along

Yes, there's an ethernet cable. The modem and the router each have three things plugged into them.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
    ITstudent2006

So your desktop is hooked via ethernet to your router and your laptop is wireless correct?

Well the first ting to try is ant hardware issues, see if your ethernet card is enabled and running properly and see if it's possible to rollback, update drivers. Also disable and re-enable if possible. Also put the ethernet jack from your router to another port on the router (could be a bad port)

Try these steps and let me know! We'll fix the hardware issues first before dabbling in the software aspect!
  • Jan 2, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Wondering Along

Thanks so much for all your help and time - I went into the control panel and re-enabled something that must have been automatically disabled when I unplugged things - it's connected to the internet and I am SO happy!
  • Jan 2, 2009, 11:56 AM
    ITstudent2006

Perfect congrats! Enjoy your new-year