Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   My poor dog keeps gagging (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=228125)

• Jun 18, 2008, 08:18 AM
    drcmk96
    My poor dog keeps gagging
    My dog keeps gagging like she trying to cough something up but nothing ever does. We've rubbed her throat & even tried help her when she is gagging but to no avail. And it's not all the time. She will be fine & then she start up. There's no provoking at all. She ate & drank last night. She's 4-5 yrs old. I haven't taken her to a vet yet. Wanted to do some research first. This started 2 days ago. Can anyone help?
  • Jun 18, 2008, 08:26 AM
    wildandblue
    Some times worms like a tapeworm can cause this or she might have something wedged in her back teeth that she is trying to get rid of. Could she have eaten grass some kinds of grass leaves or seed heads can stick in the throat or a foreign object in the petfood
  • Jun 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
    drcmk96
    We do have her out on a chain during the day & then bring her in at night. There is grass & brush on the backside of her dog house.
  • Jun 18, 2008, 08:36 AM
    wildandblue
    A vet may need to pull something out of her throat, let him handle it, he'll need a tongue depressor, forceps, that light he sticks on his head, possibly something to hold the jaws open, even anesthesia, etc you don't want to get involved in that yourself. Try giving her a raw egg or egg white or a soft piece of bread to carry the object down. Ky31 tall fescue grass in the lawn could cause this or maybe some passerby gave her something you didn't know about
  • Jun 18, 2008, 08:41 AM
    bushg
    Kennel cough can cause symptoms like this.
  • Jun 18, 2008, 09:00 AM
    wildandblue
    Well you mentioned you tie her out, some dogs get kind of gung-ho about barking and chasing things when they are tied. They can actually pull so hard on their collar that they collapse their windpipes or cause damage there that will bother them. Maybe a body harness instead of a collar or put a nice little chain link area around her doghouse?
  • Jul 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Byrd
    My Chihuahua has been having the same problems lately and the Vet told me it was a problem with a collasped windpipe and also a problem with allergies. If you hear any congestion in the gagging as if she is having mucous problems, this might indicate allergies as my dog does. When I give her an antihistamine that the doctor prescribed it calms a lot of it down, but when she just has the gagging without the congestion, the antihistamine doesn't seem to help. Good Luck!
  • Jul 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
    rex123
    Dogs sometimes eat grass when they are lacking certain nutrients in their diets or when they feel the need to throw up. Thus causing the dog to gag. Worms is also a possibility.
  • Jul 9, 2008, 05:39 PM
    blackblue
    My dog does that a few times every few months.She will cough and cough and then throw up.It doesn't seem to bother her that much and it could be allergies.
  • Dec 6, 2009, 11:14 AM
    sallydog
    My dog does this too. She doesn't cough or vomit but she does gag quite often. She's not eating grass right now (there is snow on the ground) and she's not out alone. She also doesn't eat non food items, like sticks. I'm wondering if it's hair in her throat from her scratching herself with her teeth. She doesn't do this much though, as we have her flea treatments up to date. She's half chow and half lab. I read somewhere that chows have an extra fold in their throat that can sometimes cause problems. Does anyone know anything about this feature of chows?
  • Jun 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
    MsBootyshaker
    I think in my case of my gagging dog, it is due to damage to his trachea or throat area, it seems when his collar is grabbed he begins to gag. He also seems to gag when he reaches towards his rear end that he gags, does this happen with your dog?
  • Jun 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Aurora_Bell

This thread is two years old, and it doesn't look like the OP has been back.
  • Jul 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
    masterofsix
    Comment on drcmk96's post
    Please never leave a dog out all day. They can be subjected to many dangers not even considering the heat, cold and severe storms. Please go to DDB.com (dogsdeservebetter.com) for more information on why you should NEVER leave a dog alone outside and