Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodworks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Bathroom light/fan switch
    My bathroom light and exhaust fan are controlled by one switch. You turn on the switch and the light and the fan both come on. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a separate switch for the light and the fan without running another wire from the fan/light to the switch. If so how is this accomplished.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 12:17 PM

Not really. However, pull the switch out and see if there are two wires connected together on one side of the switch. This might be one each for the fan and light. If so, add another switch, put one wire on it, and connect a jumper from the other switch's hot wire to the new switch.

If there is only one wire on each side of the old switch, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Hope this helps, be careful with electricity.
    Wally
    myoldhouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I recently installed a new Hunter vent/light combo in a bathroom remodel, and it's possible to separately switch the two IF you are able to hard-wire them separately at the fan and motor connections inside the unit. I was able to split the two, running separate switch wiring to a double switch, and so do not have to run the fan if I don't want to. If you have a single power supply/switch leg between the unit and the switch, looks like you'd need new wiring run if you want to run them independently. Good luck, and Wally said, be careful with Sparky. If you need more in-depth info, keep posting here. Experts are very close...

Dave
    niedzielski Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2010, 11:12 AM

I am installing a new bathroom fixture. I took the old one out and now the plug will work but not the light. There are 4 white wires and 4 black along with the ground. Do the 4 of each all hook together or should the ones from the plug be separate? 2 of the wires are from the fixture itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Combo Fan/Light Bathroom Switch [ 1 Answers ]

The light switch on the combo fan/light switch in my bathroom went out. How do I repair this, or should I get an electrican to do so?

Bathroom Light and Fan connected at switch need to separate [ 3 Answers ]

All of our bathrooms have the vanity light fixture and the ceiling exhaust fan connected to one switch, so we can never just have the light or just the fan on. They are ALWAYS on together. We want to put them on sperate switches, but when we opened the face plate we found to white wires bound...

Bathroom Fan/Light Switch Issue [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 switch fixture on the wall, top controls lights over sink, bottom controls exhaust fan. The top switch was starting to act up so I went to Lowe's and bought the same identical switch that I have on the wall. I wired up the new one exactly like the one that was already on the wall. I turn...

Bathroom light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that is 6 years old. Yesterday, I went to turn on the bathroom light and it would not turn on, but the switch that turns on the fan in the bathroom still works. This two switches are on the same electric plate (I don't know if I am calling it by the right name). They...

Bathroom Electrical Outlet Tied in to Light Switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old 60 year old house with a tiny bathroom. Originally there was no outlet in the bathroom. Someone in the past has run a wire from the light to add an outlet and it is only hot when the light is on. It is a GFCI outlet with a tiny green light that comes on when the light switch is...

View more questions Search