Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mattk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Bathroom Fan/Light Switch Issue
    I have a 2 switch fixture on the wall, top controls lights over sink, bottom controls exhaust fan. The top switch was starting to act up so I went to Lowe's and bought the same identical switch that I have on the wall. I wired up the new one exactly like the one that was already on the wall. I turn the top switch on and BOTH the fan and lights come on. I am stumped, it's 3 wires, I marked everything to make sure they all went on the right screws on the new fixture. What the heck is going on?? I'm using a Leviton fixture too.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
    The hot wire goes to the side of the switch that connects together by a small tab. The other side has 2 isolated contacts and need to go to light and fan.
    You could probably disconnect wires, turn switch upside down, reconnect and try, you can't hurt anything.
    Main thing is hot to the side with a jumping tab by screw.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Check the old switch, look at the Line side, see if there is a jumper missing. To know what one looks like, look at your new switch. On one side you will see a small piece of brass joining the two terminals. If you see this missing on your old switch, the jumper on the new switch needs to be removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch issue, Light stays on! [ 8 Answers ]

Im having a problem with a light switch... the light stays on regardless of the position of the switch. I have swaped the switch out with a new one and still have the same problem. The switch controls to recessed lights over a fireplace. In the box on the wall there are several wires: 2 white...

Bathroom light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that is 6 years old. Yesterday, I went to turn on the bathroom light and it would not turn on, but the switch that turns on the fan in the bathroom still works. This two switches are on the same electric plate (I don't know if I am calling it by the right name). They...

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Light and switch issue [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace an existing light fixture. I have discovered four wires coming into the opening. When I connect the new light *** the old one was I only have power before the light and the new light comes on. No power to the rooms beyond the light. In addition, the new light is on...

View more questions Search