Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wareaglejoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Bathroom Electrical Outlet Tied in to Light Switch
    I have an old 60 year old house with a tiny bathroom. Originally there was no outlet in the bathroom. Someone in the past has run a wire from the light to add an outlet and it is only hot when the light is on. It is a GFCI outlet with a tiny green light that comes on when the light switch is turned on. I would like very much for the outlet to be hot all the time instead of just when the light is turned on. How do I change the way the wire is run in order to accomplish that? Thanks for the help in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Assuming there is only 2-2 wire cables at the light, switched power from the switch, and the 2 wire cable to the outlet, changing the existing wires path or splicing will not work.

Either a new 2 wire feed needs to come from a 24 hour constant source to the outlet, or a 3 wire cable needs to run from the switch to the light, which then can offer constant power on the third wire, to power the outlet.
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Jul 5, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Your problem is easy to correct: the wire supplying power to the receptacle is connected to the normally open side of the switch.

1. Turn the circuit breaker or disconnect the fuse supplying power to the switch.
    2. Move the wire, which goes to the receptacle to the other side of the switch which is hot at all times.
    3. Reset the circuit breaker or fuse and you will have fixed the problem.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Eeseely, I would like to bring your attention to the statement:

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglejoy
    Someone in the past has run a wire from the light to add an outlet
    I take the assumption that there is only two 2 wire cables at the light, the old one from the switch, and the new one to the outlet.

There would appear to be a cable from the switch to the light at one time, and then a cable was extended FROM the light to the new outlet.

Your plan will not work.
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2007, 04:16 AM
    I may have made the wrong assumption, and if so you are correct.
    The truth of the matter is we don't know how it's wired, do we?
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
    We can only offer advice based on the specific information that the poster provides, such as:

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglejoy
    Someone in the past has run a wire from the light to add an outlet and it is only hot when the light is on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet not working [ 3 Answers ]

I have replaced an electrical outlet and it is still not working. What else could be wrong?

Electrical Outlet replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a GFI electrical outlet that went out in the back of our house. It is hooked up on the line to the outlets in our garage. I am using a Sperry Instruments three pronged electrical circuit tester to test the outlets. The GFI that I replaced is now working properly based on the...

Bathroom light and outlet. [ 10 Answers ]

Recently purchased a new house. 2 bedroom ranch approx 900sqft. The house was constructed in 1955. The panel was replaced by the previous owner. (By a professional electrician) I was a professional Lowvoltage (DataComm) installer for quite some time, so I have experience fishing wires. ...

Can I replace a light switch with an outlet? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not an electrician, but I have had some luck doing smaller electrical work around my house, and I need some advice. I have a house built around 1936. Five of the rooms have central lighting. Four other rooms might have had overhead lights at some point, but if so those lights have been...

External Electrical Outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a external electrical outlet in the front and back patios of my house and neither of them work. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

View more questions Search