Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Dumb question? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=12636)

• Sep 12, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Camel
    Dumb question?
    Can someone explain, by example(s) the difference(s) between a dry vent and a wet vent? Looked all over the Internet for examples... now more confused than ever.
  • Sep 12, 2005, 02:21 PM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Camel
    Can someone explain, by example(s) the difference(s) between a dry vent and a wet vent? Looked all over the Internet for examples...now more confused than ever.

Hey Camel,
    That's not a dumb question. Let me give you a illustration.
    Let's take a lavatory and a shower in a bathroom. The lavatory drains into a tee and down into a under floor pipe called the drain pipe that connects to the main sewer. There is a pipe that comes out of that tee that goes through the roof to vent the lavatory. Since there's nothing else connected and draining into the vent pipe it's dry. Hence,"dry vent".
    Now the shower drain connects into the lavatory drain and when it drains it vents out the lavatory vent. Since the shower vents through the lav drain it's call a "wet vent". Things clearer now or did I just muddy up the waters and confuse you farther? Cheers, Tom
  • Sep 26, 2005, 04:42 AM
    Camel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Camel,
    That's not a dumb question. Let me give you a illustration.
    Let's take a lavatory and a shower in a bathroom. The lavatory drains into a tee and down into a under floor pipe called the drain pipe that connects to the main sewer. There is a pipe that comes out of that tee that goes through the roof to vent the lavatory. Since there's nothing else connected and draining into the vent pipe it's dry. Hence,"dry vent".
    Now the shower drain connects into the lavatory drain and when it drains it vents out the lavatory vent. Since the shower vents through the lav drain it's call a "wet vent". Things clearer now or did I just muddy up the waters and confuse you farther? Cheers, Tom

This clears it up. What is flat venting and why is it not allowed in some cases?
  • Sep 26, 2005, 07:27 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Camel
    This clears it up. What is flat venting and why is it not allowed in some cases?

My code book doesn't address "flat venting" could you mean "wet venting"?
    If not please explain flat venting to me. Thanks, Tom
  • Sep 26, 2005, 04:29 PM
    Camel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    My code book doesn't address "flat venting" could you mean "wet venting"?
    If not please explain flat venting to me. Thanks, Tom

It seems to have some meaning when referred to in the same paragraph as horizontal venting.
  • Sep 26, 2005, 04:51 PM
    speedball1
    Hey Camel,

That would be revent. When you tie two vents together with a lateral,(horizontal) line and run out the roof with one pipe. Cheers Tom