Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=76371)

• Mar 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    JohnnyPauly
    Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water
    The drywall and baseboards in the inside exterior kitchen wall were rotting and wet. It is about 6-10 inches above ground level. We live in a concrtete cinderblock house in Florida. After removing the exterior stucco we found water oozing from what appears to be inside the conctrete. What could be leaking? HOw do we access it and is it a job for an expert? If so what kind? We didn't run the kitchen sink or dishwasher for 2 days and the leak continued. What is the next step? Thanks
  • Mar 27, 2007, 06:21 AM
    speedball1
    Greetings from Sarasota JohnnyPaul,

Is this rainwater run off or did you build on top of a artisan well? What part od Florida do you live it? Much rain up your way lately? If the problem persists I could consider installing a french drain, (see image) to carry away the excess water. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Regards, Tom
  • Mar 27, 2007, 06:36 AM
    JohnnyPauly
    Hi Tom
    Thnks for the quick reply. I live in Plantation FLorida. I don't think its rainwater run off because it is only in a very limitred area. Plus we haven't had any rain for 4 days and it is still oozing water. It is leaking from an area about 6 inches long, about 6 inches above the ground. It is only visible on the exterior wall but it is wet and rotting inside. The house is 20 years old.
    Thanks
    JP
  • Mar 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
    speedball1
    Have you checked the meter to see if it isn't a broken water line? Tom
  • Mar 27, 2007, 07:32 AM
    JohnnyPauly
    Hi Tom
    No the water meter shows normal use, plus the water is leaking down from the concrete into the ground ( and through the wall) not up from the ground.
    Any other ideas?
    JP
  • Mar 27, 2007, 07:33 AM
    JohnnyPauly
    Hi Tom
    I guess a question I have is what types of pipes would be inside the cinderblaco?
    JP
  • Mar 27, 2007, 07:39 AM
    ballengerb1
    You can have any number of supply lines in your wall. The blocks are semi-hollow so builders take advantage of the passages. Is the problem near a plumbing fixture? The drywall is shot so you might just cut out an inspection hole, drywall and block too.
  • Mar 27, 2007, 08:31 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyPauly
    Hi Tom
    No the water meter shows normal use, plus the water is leaking down from the concrete into the ground ( and through the wall) not up from the ground.
    Any other ideas?
    JP

Have you checked the little pointer when all the fixtures in the house are shut down. The pointer shouldn't move or creep. If it does yhen you have a pressure leak in the wall. Good luck, Tom
  • Mar 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
    ballengerb1
    Tom is right but a slow drip may not even register. If water keeps dripping out of the wall, not through it from the outside, I'm thinking supply line. Maybe your outside spigot? Shut off your main for an hour or two and see if the leak doesn't stop. If it stops or slows your issue is a supply line.