Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Winterizing a dishwasher (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=53436)

• Jan 9, 2007, 12:30 PM
    huyck
    Winterizing a dishwasher
    I am winterizing a home and I still need to winterize the dishwasher. I would like to use windshield washer fluid. I have the water pump shut off. No running water. Can I pour washer fluid in the dishwasher. Place on rinse cycle and get the washer fluid into the discharge pump without burning up some type of water pump on the inlet side of the dishwasher, because of the water being shut off ?

Thanks
  • Jan 10, 2007, 08:16 AM
    speedball1
    Putting a liquid that is a known poison,( Anti-freeze) in a machine that washes your dishers isn't the brighgtest Idea that's come up this morning.
    Better do it this way. In the bottom of the tub is the sump that always has water in it sponge it out and shut off the hot water to the dishwater. Remove the supply line and let the pump drain. This should "winterize" the dishwasher without poisoning your family. Good luck, Tom
  • May 6, 2009, 01:32 PM
    pbihomes
    Windshield washer fluid stains, once I ran out of Motor Home Anti Freeze which is non toxic and used some windshield washer fluid in a toilet. It was a to clean out.

Motor home anti freezed fluid is available at wal mart and its pink.
  • May 6, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Milo Dolezal

... or, remove Dishwasher's kick plate, remove discharge hose clamp and the discharge hose. All water will drain out though the lowest point. Now, there is no water in your dishwasher.
  • Feb 11, 2012, 09:31 AM
    ddubled
    I recently used a wet vac to suck the water out of the dishwasher pump using the drain line under the sink. Worked really good, you could tell when there was no more water down in the pump. Probably don't even need any antifreeze. Still need to drain water inlet that is after the electronic valve. I think you turn on dishwasher on while the water is draining in the basement, this should allow water to backflow out of dishwasher.
  • Feb 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
    speedball1
    Hi and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a year old dead thread Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks,
    Quote:

Probably don't even need any antifreeze
    As I've stated."Putting a liquid that is a known poison,( Anti-freeze) in a maching that washes your dishers isn't the brighgtest Idea that's come up." But your other advice is bang on. Regards, Tom
  • Feb 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
    ddubled
    Yea if any antifreeze is used it should be non toxic RV antifreeze.
  • Feb 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
    hkstroud
    Think I would just pour some cooking oil in and run through the drain cycle. Certainly should be food safe.
  • Feb 12, 2012, 06:07 AM
    speedball1
    Guys! This is a 5b year old thread that we're responding to. Let's put it to bed.