Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Laundry standpipe overflow (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=6321)

• Nov 21, 2004, 07:23 PM
    julsie
    Laundry standpipe overflow
    The standpipe that our washing machine drains into recently started overflowing. It's only a small amount at a time, creating a tiny puddle that runs in front of the machine. It seems to happen during the rinse cycle. There's no noticeable odor or sudsing. Any idea what could be causing this problem?
  • Nov 22, 2004, 05:20 AM
    speedball1
    You are developing a partial clog in your drain line. You need to run a snake down the standpipe and past the trap to clear it. If it persists or gets worse there is a "last resort" fix that I had to use at my place and just passed on a few minutes ago to another asker with the same problem. This is then advice I gave him, "I had the same problem at my house the washer pump discharged with so much force that it sometimes backed up. I cured it by attaching a 2 X 1 1/2" compression fitting on top of the stand pipe and making a water tight connection between the hose and stand pipe. Your trap and stand pipe are 2" aren't they? If your trap and standpipe's 1 1/2" simply purchase a 1 1/2 female X 1 1/2" compression fitting and install that. Good luck, Tom
  • Nov 22, 2004, 08:35 AM
    julsie
    Thanks! I'll give the snake a try. We need to get one in for our bathroom drain, anyway.
  • Nov 22, 2004, 12:52 PM
    speedball1
    Caulking the Standpipe.
    If snaking the line don't get it you could also caulk the hose into the stand pipe using that foam stuff that you squirt out of a can making a watertight joint. Cheers, Tom
  • Nov 23, 2004, 02:31 PM
    julsie
    My husband snaked it out last night, and there's no change. But I noticed that the pipe doesn't look tall enough, so I measured, and it's only 24" tall! It's a miracle we haven't had any trouble before this week, really. We'll extend it another foot or so, and I imagine that will take care of the small amount of overflow we've been having.
  • Nov 23, 2004, 03:52 PM
    speedball1
    We make our washer standpipes out of 2" pipe 36" long.
  • Nov 27, 2004, 11:10 AM
    julsie
    Ours is now 2" diameter, and approximately 48" tall. Works like a charm. Thanks for the help!
  • Nov 27, 2004, 02:24 PM
    speedball1
    We are glad we were able to help. More problems? We're as close as a click.
    Tom
  • Mar 14, 2009, 04:01 PM
    kitty101
    We had the same problem with the standpipe overflowing. We have had two plumbers out previously, they said something about the pipe on top of the house and they used the snake on it from the roof and snaked standpipe behind the washer. He asked if we had a garbage disposal and we do.? Once they leave all is well for few months then we start overflowing again at the standpipe.

My husband didn't find a compression fitting but a 1 1/2 inch rubber plug that fits in the standpipe and the return hose fits in it and then he tightened with a hose clamp. So yeah no more trying to remember to run to the washer during rinse cycle. The only thing is now about the time the standpipe would overflow, the water is coming up in the kitchen sink. So we fix one thing, but it creates a problem else where. I know this is older thread but thought I would see if anyone would have any ideas for me.

Thanks!
  • Mar 15, 2009, 06:06 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

The only thing is now about the time the standpipe would overflow, the water is coming up in the kitchen sink.
    Sounds like you have a partial clog downstream from the kitchen sink. Rent a sewer machine and snake the kitchen roof vent. Put out enough canle to reach the base and 16 feet more. Good luck, Tom
  • Mar 15, 2009, 07:29 AM
    kitty101
    Thank you for your reply! We will try that.