Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Water pressure TOO high in house (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=198569)

• Mar 25, 2008, 02:18 PM
    gramps
    Water pressure TOO high in house
    We have TOO much water pressure! How do we turn it down? We have a pump in a well and a pressure tank in the house. The guy who installed a sediment filter for us turned up the pressure to compensate--I assume at the pressure tank. We need to turn it down. Any help is appreciated!
  • Mar 25, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Credendovidis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps
    We have TOO much water pressure! How do we turn it down? We have a pump in a well and a pressure tank in the house. The guy who installed a sediment filter for us turned up the pressure to compensate--I assume at the pressure tank. We need to turn it down. Any help is appreciated!

The tank has to have an outlet tap. That's the one to adjust for waterpressure in the house.
    ;)
  • Mar 25, 2008, 04:30 PM
    gramps
    Can someone be more specific? I don't know what an outlet tap is! Thanks!
  • Mar 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
    speedball1
    First off Gramps the pressure tank has nothing to do with either increasing or decreasing the pump pressure. (Sorry Credendovidis) It's the pump control box, (see image) that does this. Let me show you the adjustments you'll have to make to reduce your pressure.(see the image). What's your cut in rnpressure. If you're happy with your cut-in point then turn the small spring counter clockwise to reduce the cut -out point to the desired pressure. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom.
  • Mar 25, 2008, 05:00 PM
    hkstroud
    Your pressure tank or the line from the pump to the tank has a pressure switch on it. It will probably be gray or black and will be the only thing that has an electrical line to it (or should be). Turn off breaker to pump. Remove cover of switch. There should be two adjustment screws. You must first determine which is the low or cut in adjustment screw and which is the high or cut out adjustment screw. Open a faucet, let tank drain until you have reach the desired pressure (50 or 60 lbs.). Unscrew one of the adjustment screws several turns. Count the number of turns. If the switch mechanism moves or you hear a click, you have adjusted the high or cut out pressure setting. If you do not hear a click or switch does not move, return screw to its original setting. Do the same thing with the other screw.
  • Apr 6, 2008, 05:01 PM
    tomwquirk
    What is the proper spread between cut in & cut out. I'm currently at 40 in and 60 off, results in too much air in the system
  • Apr 6, 2008, 06:45 PM
    hkstroud
    Tell us why you say you have too much air in the system. You should not have any air in the system. You pump settings are correct. The only way that I can think of that would give you air would be that you have a bladder tank and the bladder is leaking or ruptured. Normally when this happens a bladder tank will act like a regular pressure tank with out a bladder. The only way that I can think off for you to have air is that you have an unique rupture and air is getting in where the water should be and water is getting where the air should be. Really don't know how that could happen though.

Tell us more.
  • Apr 14, 2008, 05:15 PM
    gramps
    Thanks to several of you, we were able to successfully adjust the pressure. We cut on at 40 and cut off at 60 and it is perfect!