Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=22303)

• Mar 5, 2006, 08:16 PM
    extreme42583
    Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure?
    Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions and changed my water softner and all my plumbing and fixtures have been changed within a few months. Any answers?
  • Mar 6, 2006, 06:49 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme42583
    Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions and changed my water softner and all my plumbing and fixtures have been changed within a few months. Any answers??

Your complaint points to a pump that's not kicking back on as the pressure falls. What type of pump do you have? Regular or submersible? This can be caused by dirty contacts in the pump control box,(see image) and that's what I'd check first. If you find the control box is good then I would check the pump motor and as a last resort I would check the water table in the well. Good luck, Tom
  • Mar 6, 2006, 07:51 AM
    extreme42583
    I believe I have a regular but I am not sure. I know on the bladder tank it looks like the picture you have provided. I was also wondering if it is just not getting power to it? Or there might be a problem in the well?
  • Mar 6, 2006, 07:57 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme42583
    I believe I have a regular but I am not sure. I know on the bladder tank it looks like the picture you have provided. I was also wondering if it is just not getting power to it? Or there might be a problem in the well?

The control box provides power to the pumps motor. Check it first. As I advised,"This can be caused by dirty contacts in the pump control box,(see image) and that's what I'd check first. If you find the control box is good then I would check the pump motor and as a last resort I would check the water table in the well. Good luck, Tom
  • Sep 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
    wmaher
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Told me what I did not know
  • Oct 18, 2009, 08:53 PM
    ANRRAYMOND
    The qestion all ready says that the pressure drops to zero so it goes with out saying that the
    Pump was pumping just before pressure was lost. Speedball did not have "EXTREME" check the tank for pressure of the bladder nor leaks in the building. I think the recommendation were poor.
  • Oct 19, 2009, 04:12 AM
    jlisenbe

SB is giving good advice. If the pressure drops to zero, then it "goes without saying" that the pump WAS pumping but stops delivering water for some reason. Without question, the first thing to check is the switch. (Extreme, you might also want to check the little pipe leading to the switch. It can sometimes get clogged up with crud and cause the switch to be sluggish and cutin too late or even not at all.)

The main question is this: When pressure drops to zero, is the pump on or off? If it's off, then the switch is the likely culprit. If it's on, then you must look elsewhere.

BTW, what SB is calling a "regular" pump would be above ground. The submersible pump would be in the well itself. If it's above ground, then it's easy to tell if it's running or not. If it's in the well, then you can sometimes feel the wellpipe. When the pump is running, there will be a mild but noticeable vibration in the pipe.

Check out the pump... is it running or not?? And then get back to us.
  • Oct 19, 2009, 05:36 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ANRRAYMOND View Post
    THE QESTION ALL READY SAYS THAT THE PRESSURE DROPS TO ZERO SO IT GOES WITH OUT SAYING THAT THE
    PUMP WAS PUMPING JUST BEFORE PRESSURE WAS LOST. SPEEDBALL DID NOT HAVE "EXTREME" CHECK THE TANK FOR PRESSURE OF THE BLADDER NOR LEAKS IN THE BUILDING. I THINK THE RECOMMENDATION WERE POOR.

And we're waiting for your recommendations if mine were so bad. And lose the caps. We don't yell at each other on this page. Tom
  • Sep 5, 2011, 01:41 PM
    cassy.mill
    I am having problems we changed pump and switch and new tank even the line where the pressure switch is is clean and we keep losing pressure, The water runs and goes off then it runs again then turns off it get worse where it turns off more quickly we keep checking the tank pressure but it keeps doing it.. I am lost cassy
  • Sep 5, 2011, 03:58 PM
    jlisenbe
    A few questions:
    1. Why did you change so many components? Were you having these problems before you started changing items?
    2. Is your pump above ground or in the well?
    3. Is your new tank painted or galvanized? Believe it or not, that is an important factor.
  • Sep 5, 2011, 04:11 PM
    rjh2o
    It sounds like you have a bad check valve. If the pump is turning on when you are not using water this is an indication of a bad check valve as the water goes back down drop pipe pulling water from the bladder tank and tripping the well switch over and over again. I assume the tank you have is a "bladder" tank, Correct?

RJ
  • Sep 29, 2011, 05:32 AM
    speedball1
    Hi RJH and welcome to The Plumbing Page on AMHD.
    You piggybacked on a 5 year old dead thread. Before you post look in the upper left hand corner for the date.. Thanks, Tom