Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Tub drain plumbers putty (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=423174)

• Dec 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
    jstobias
    Tub drain plumbers putty
    Water used to build up underneath the bathtub (surrounding the pipe connected to tub drain hole) every time water is running on the bathtub.

See attached slide for more details of the problem.
  • Dec 8, 2009, 05:56 AM
    speedball1
    Your attachment didn't come through. Why mention "putty"? Do you suspect the drain seal's ruptured?
    That "hole's" called the tub dap-out. Dip the water out of the dap-out and put some water in the tub. Now drain it and tell me exactly where the leak comes out from. Before we can fix the leak we first have to localize it. Let ne know. Tom
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:09 AM
    jstobias

Thanks for the quick response, please ignore the first title I put as the title should be "Water leaking underneath the bathtub".

Every time water is running on our bathtub water used to build up underneath the bathtub (surrounding the overflow tube under the bathtub).

Below what was done so far:
    - Removed the tub drain basket by unscrewing it.
    - Removed all the dirt in the tub drain basket by washing it.
    - Put back the tub drain basket and tightened it, wherein plumber's putty was put around the tub drain basket (there's no putty at all initially)

After doing all the above actions, still water is building up underneath the bathtub, although it helps a bit as the flow of water leaking below the bathtub had reduced.

Also please let me know how to attach an attachement here so I can put the actual pictures of our bathtub.

Thanks!
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:17 AM
    speedball1

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.
    Where, exactly, is the water leaking out from? From the putty drain seal? From someplace under that such as a compression fitting? Narrow it down. Regards, tom
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:32 AM
    jstobias
    1 Attachment(s)
    Water is leaking underneath the bathtub
    Hi,

Every time water is running on our bathtub water used to build up underneath the bathtub (surrounding the overflow tube under the bathtub).

Below what was done so far:
    - Removed the tub drain basket by unscrewing it.
    - Removed all the dirt in the tub drain basket by washing it.
    - Put back the tub drain basket and tightened it, wherein plumber’s putty was put around the tub drain basket (there’s no putty at all initially)

After doing all the above actions, still water is building up underneath the bathtub, although it helps a bit as the flow of water leaking below the bathtub had reduced.

See attached pictures regarding this problem.

Thanks!
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:34 AM
    jstobias

Okay thanks a lot.

I just submitted/asked new question (with same problem) this time with the attachement, refer to this link:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ml#post2121200
  • Dec 8, 2009, 07:55 AM
    speedball1

You have described a ruptured drain seal. BTW the "tub drain basket" is called a "tub shoe".(see image). Is there a black washer where the tub drain screws into the shoe? (seeimage) Go back and use more putty until it squeezes out from the drain lip. Good luck, Tom
  • Dec 8, 2009, 09:27 AM
    jstobias
    1 Attachment(s)
    To make sure that my understanding is correct, see below picture/diagram as I need some clarifications..
  • Dec 8, 2009, 10:13 AM
    cyberheater

Good graphics.
  • Dec 8, 2009, 05:42 PM
    speedball1

Sorry! You are correct about the basket. I was referring to the unit.
    That's the black washer I was questioning. Is it in place and if drain leaks after sealing it with putty is there a chance the threads got crossed in installation? That would still give you a leak even after redoing the putty thingy. Regards, Tom
  • Dec 10, 2009, 11:47 AM
    jstobias
    1 Attachment(s)
    When the plumber removed the tub drain basket I didn't see any black thing around the tub drain hole, so most probably the rubber gasket was not in place during installation.

Also there's limited area to work on, see picture below.
  • Dec 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
    speedball1

If the black gasket isn't inatalled then you still have a problem. Good luck, Tom
  • Dec 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
    jstobias
    1 Attachment(s)
    After cutting the tub shoe and replacing with a new one, there's no more leak under the tub drain hole but now the leak is in the junction between the tub shoe and the overflow tube (see picture below).
  • Dec 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
    KISS

Nice graphics.

Why don't I see any purple primer? I only see blue cement.

Wondering.