Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Vanity drain line and water supply (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4349)

• Dec 18, 2003, 08:47 AM
    DDave
    Vanity drain line and water supply
    Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming through the wall, Is there a certain spacing that is required as far as the distance between the lines and how high off the floor etc. Also what type off cucoff valve do you sugest to yous, threaded or compression etc. thanks again for any info. Dave
  • Dec 18, 2003, 11:23 AM
    speedball1
    Hi Dave, Your stubout, (drain) will be 18" off the floor and 3 or 4" out from the finished cabinet wall. Position the stubout a little off center of one of the lav drain and pick up the other lav drain with a wye coming off the stubout . Your supplies will be 18" off the floor and 4" either side from the centerline of the stub out. The shutoffs will be 1/2" X1/4" compression angle stops. Good luck with your remodel, Tom
  • Dec 18, 2003, 01:13 PM
    DDave
    Re: vanity drain line and water supply
    Tom, thanks for the info. What would be a very good quality brand name of drain hardware to buy for the drain trap and extensions etc. Should I try to stay with 1.5 in. hardware or is 1.25 in. the standard for bathroom sinks? Thanks again Tom. You have been great help! Dave
  • Dec 18, 2003, 04:25 PM
    speedball1
    Hi Dave,   Most any Pop-up Lavatory Drain, except the plastic ones, will do.  The standard is 1 1/4". Your trap will have a nylon gasket to increase the accommendations to 1 1/2".     Tip:  Even if it has a neoprene gasket where the lip of the drain fits the slope of the lavatory I always run about a 1/4" bead of plumbers putty around the lip for insurance.  Regards, Tom  
  • Dec 22, 2003, 08:41 AM
    DDave
    Tom, how are you doing. One quick question about my drain. I am installing kitchen height cabinets in my bath room. Is the 18 inch drain height from the floor still OK or should it be higher? Thanks Tom. Dave
  • Dec 22, 2003, 09:29 AM
    speedball1
    Good morning Dave,  18" is  the correct elevation for both kitchen and lavatory stubouts.  Happy Holidays to you and yours.  Tom I should have added that for your shutoff valves that you will need BrassCraft 1/2X1/4X1/4 compression angle stops on your water supplies. That will give you access to a hot and cold supply for each lavatory. Chirstmas is past but have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Tom