Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Ssi and ssdi (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=34935)

• Sep 23, 2006, 11:59 AM
    ron65
    Ssi and ssdi
    I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you
  • Sep 23, 2006, 12:45 PM
    excon
    Hello again, ron:

Anybody can sue anybody!

Winning and collecting are another matter. If you are sued, in my other answer I told you exactly what to say to the judge to guard your income.

excon
  • Sep 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    As stated you can always be sued, and they can win. But winning and actually getting money are two separate issues
  • Dec 11, 2006, 04:49 AM
    jean48329
    What I have learned most recently, is your Social Security funds cannot be levied, or garnished, unless you pull money out, then redeposit... then it could appear as add'l funds have been placed into your account... I recently experienced this in MIchigan... what a mess.. I lost the 150.00, even though it was money I had transferred into my sons college account to help him, then he repaid me... I owe a small cigarette tax debt to Michigan and guess what... that's right... they froze my account, and kept the 150.00... hope that answers your question... your SS money is safe.. if you're careful!
  • Dec 11, 2006, 06:38 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jean48329
    your Social Security funds cannot be levied, or garnished, unless you pull money out, then redeposit

I'm not sure I follow this. SS funds are not held on deposit. They are paid to your on a monthly basis. If you have Direct Deposit and withdraw money from your account the deposit it in another account then you lose the protection.
  • Dec 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
    jean48329
    Exactly... as you described, the income is deposited into one specific account, be it Savings or Checking... but once it is moved to another account... or, taken out and redeposited, as in my circumstances... it is considered "additonal monies".. I know it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but in the case of the State of Michigan... this is how it is interpreted. I certainly have no law degree, but spent three weeks making dozens of calls, and it is the "states decision"... not ours... pretty scary, eh? I had even provided the paper trail as the other account it was transferred in had my name on it, it was my sons "college" account. Hope this helps some!
  • Dec 11, 2006, 07:36 AM
    ScottGem
    No, it makes perfect sense. When direct deposited into a specific account the money can be traced to SS and would therefore be untouchable. Once its deposited elsewhere the paper trail attributing the money is broken and it becomes fair game. You can't prove that it wasn't money from a part time job, a poker game or a lottery win for example.