Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Strange smell around water heater (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=61759)

• Feb 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
    helplesschick
    Strange smell around water heater
    There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on what causes it and what I can do to get rid of it. The water itself is fine, but the air around the water heater is terrible.

Thank you!
  • Feb 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
    speedball1
    Shut the power off to the heater and open up the inspection plates. Check for moisture and/or mold or fungus in the insulation. Did the plumber connect the heater pan drain to a drain line when he installed it? Regards, tom
  • Feb 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
    helplesschick
    I don't know if this is relevant, but: The water heater is in a small 2nd floor closet. I can only see part of the water heater. Also, the water heater is an older model that was installed in 1995.

How do I open the inspection plates? I read and reread the installation manual that came with the water heater. The diagram showed where the insulation would be, but not how I could reach it. There's nothing with the label of inspection plate. It also didn't show anything about a heater pan drain. So, I really need a description of what you're talking about. Sorry!
  • Feb 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
    doug238
    I think the previous answerer was asking about if the heater was installed in a pan to catch spillage and the pan drain may be connected to the home drain [sewer] lines. Is so, the odor is from your drain lines. Is it more noticeable on a windy day?
  • Feb 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
    helplesschick
    I live in Chicago, so it's almost always windy. But, no I don't think it's more noticeable on a windy day. Sometimes it lessens for a couple weeks, but that hasn't happened in a while. When it does lessen, I can still smell it when I open the closet door. It just doesn't permeate the surrounding areas of the house.

And, no there's no pan under the heater.

If there's any suggestion on how to go about checking the insulation, I'd appreciate that. If there are any other ideas about what may be wrong and/or how to fix the problem, I'd appreciate those too. I really need help.

Thanks again.
  • Feb 14, 2007, 05:32 PM
    speedball1
    There are two plates on a typical electric water heater. One top one bottom. I should have asked, Gas or electric? Tomj
  • Feb 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
    laura0909009
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helplesschick
    There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on what causes it and what I can do to get rid of it. The water itself is fine, but the air around the water heater is terrible.

Thank you!

It's a dead mouse propably
    I had the same propblem..
    Just got to find it and get rid of it
  • Feb 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
    helplesschick
    It's a gas heater.
  • Feb 15, 2007, 08:54 AM
    speedball1
    Gas heaters do not have inspection plates. I opt for a dead critter. Tom
  • Feb 20, 2007, 06:41 PM
    helplesschick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    Gas heaters do not have inspection plates. I opt for a dead critter. Tom

We can't find a dead mouse or any other critter. Could it be ANYTHING else?
  • Feb 21, 2007, 05:05 AM
    doug238
    Typically the odors around a gas heater are going to be dust burning, light smell, not offensive, gas leak, rotten egg smell, very dangerous, fire hazard, dead critter, may last until critter rots completely, sewer odor, pan connected to sewer with no trap or trap primer to stop odor, water leak, moldy floor or wall, odor pushed down heater vent from wind and sewer vent too close [not likely but possible] look on roof. Any sewer vents within about 2 feet of gas water heater vent? Broken or defective drain piping near area. Anything else and it does not come to mind. If it persists you may want to do a smoke test and completely rule out the drain system.
  • Feb 21, 2007, 06:59 AM
    iamgrowler
    Was the tank located over an existing floor drain?

Where does the temperature and pressure relief valve drain to?