Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Health & Wellness (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Tonsil Stones (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=150610)

• Nov 10, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Aimee7505
    Tonsil Stones
    Hello, I just recently started getting tonsil stones, my first one I coughed up, and now they have come back. And they are driving me nuts,:mad: I have had one on my right tonsil for about 3 days now, I have tried everything to get rid of it and nothing. I have done alotta research to figure this matter out. I have tired coughing them (it) up, I have tried gargling with salt water, I tried gargling with a little peroxide mixed in my mouth washing thinking just maybe the bubbles would wash it out, I have tried scraping it with a qtip, I have tried pushing on my tonsils hoping the pressure would pop them out, and nothing its still there bugging the out of me. I think the problem may be that my tonsils are really far back, (or seem to be) I don't think I even reach it when I use the qtip, I did feel I may have brushed against it once with the qtip, but it didn't even move.. Can anyone please help me get these out of my throat?:confused: Is there any other ideas on a way of removing them? Thanks So Very Much :p
  • Nov 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
    N0help4u
    Most often stones and bone spurs are caused by deposits.Tonsil stones are deposits of sulfur.
    Drink purified water with some squeezed lemon juice once a morning too.
    Try gargling frequently with warm salt water or gargle with a mouthwash called Alkalol, which is basically salt water.
    Also try probiotics like yogurt or acidophilus.
  • Dec 5, 2007, 09:55 PM
    lindsayminar
    I get tonsil stone really really frequently!! I have tried gargling daily for a few weeks, lemon juice, everything, I even went out and bought a water pick which I HATE used because my tonsils are so sore ( I think I have tonsillitis, or strep). I can ussually just reach my fingers in to my mouth and try to pick them out, q-tips work okay when you take the cotton of the end. If you really cannot get it out, go to the doctor and they can do it for you.
  • Dec 9, 2007, 09:45 AM
    mjl
    I get them too. I asked my doctor about them and he said that it could be because I'm not drinking enough liquid when I eat and that makes food get stuck in my tonsils. Also I find when I eat food with little pieces like granola bars I get them.
    I used to get them about once a week and since I started drinking more water with my food and not eating things like granola bars I rarly get them. But that's just a suggestion, your doctor may have something different for you.
  • Sep 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
    poo_pok
    I have been getting what sound like tonsil stones for the past couple years on and off. My doctor told me it's called acetomyces (a-see-toe-my-sees) though, not sure if that's spelled correctly.

I can only tell they are there because the taste in my mouth changes, and yes they drive me nuts too. I find using my pinky finger on the same side as the tonsil (right hand for right side tonsil) works best for reaching my tonsil. I apply pressure, sometimes a lot, around the outter edges of my tonsils in a circular motion pops them out well. I have tried to use Q-tips but you can apply much more pressure without hurting yourself if you use something soft and not absorbant like your finger. Then right after I gargle a bunch of times with diluted hydrogen peroxide (1/3 peroxide and 2/3 water). That's always what gets ride of them for me after a couple weeks of doing it. And I have no idea what makes them come back... but they do...