Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Careers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Teachers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=691910)

• Aug 8, 2012, 04:21 PM
    _florida20
    Teachers
    Let me ask you guys this, do you think pursuing the teaching profession now a days is even worth it? I understand it shouldn't be about the money but unfortunately now life is expensive! And money is a huge need! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
  • Aug 8, 2012, 04:27 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by _florida20 View Post
    Let me ask you guys this, do you think pursuing the teaching profession now a days is even worth it? I understand it shouldn't be about the money but unfortunately now life is expensive! and money is a huge need! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

How old are you? Do you have a teaching degree, teaching certificate OR are you considering college and teaching?

If you are in teaching for the money you are going to be unhappy and your students are going to get shortchanged.
  • Aug 8, 2012, 04:30 PM
    _florida20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How old are you? Do you have a teaching degree, teaching certificate OR are you considering college and teaching?

If you are in teaching for the money you are going to be unhappy and your students are going to get shortchanged.

Yes, I have a teaching degree and certified in Elem Ed as well as Physical EdK-12. I am 23 years old. I always saw myself teaching, I absolutely love children and young adults just seeing how life is so expensive is making me doubt this career.
  • Aug 8, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Wondergirl
    Life isn't about making lots of money. And a teaching degree segues into many other professions--library and counseling :) to name two, plus with a master's you can teach at a community college and even at a college. There are all sorts of populations to teach besides children and in unique places -- in penitentiaries/prisons, senior/retirement centers, park districts, in animal care and behavior classes, etc. Your imagination is your only stumbling block.
  • Aug 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Yes, I have a teaching degree and certified in Elem Ed as well as Physical EdK-12. I am 23 years old. I always saw myself teaching, I absolutely love children and young adults just seeing how life is so expensive is making me doubt this career.

Are you working as a teacher now?
  • Aug 9, 2012, 05:25 AM
    _florida20
    Quote:

Are you working as a teacher now?

Yes, this will be the start of my 2nd year.
  • Aug 9, 2012, 05:28 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Yes, this will be the start of my 2nd year.

Oh, that's a little different. Are you disenchanted with teaching? Is it the money or a general, "I'm not cut out to do this" feeling?

Oh, by the way, Wondergirl is a librarian. Be very careful because she's trying to turn all of us into fellow librarians! < smirk >
  • Aug 9, 2012, 06:04 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    You will never get rich as a teacher, but it never was. And it is no worst now than it was 10 years ago, things were cheaper but pay was less too. Many young people go into this a little naïve when they have not had to pay all of lifes bills.

You have to really love teaching and be willing to put up with the lower pay.
    But that is what many jobs are.
    Next it is often people are not happy with what they can afford, they over spend, get into debt and then are not satisfied
  • Aug 9, 2012, 11:12 AM
    _florida20
    Quote:

Oh, that's a little different. Are you disenchanted with teaching? Is it the money or a general, "I'm not cut out to do this" feeling?

Oh, by the way, Wondergirl is a librarian. Be very careful because she's trying to turn all of us into fellow librarians! < smirk >

Not disenchanted I love it but the pay is just really really bad to the point I had to move back in with my parents. Just don't want to be stuck living off pay check to pay check my entire life. The profession itself I love just the money that has me stressed out.