Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Movies (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=410)
-   -   Magic leaving the land - 80/90's animated children's fantasy movie (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=344454)

• Apr 21, 2009, 05:33 PM
    alsonot
    Magic leaving the land - 80/90's animated children's fantasy movie
    I seem to recall an important plot element being magic leaving the land; this being the reason a mentor character needs the hero's help. The override theme I recall is of things changing. Perhaps with the character using what power is left to get rid of the bad guys. (but I'm really stretching here).

I *do* remember a mill or water wheel.

I remember scenes of locusts or dragonflys.

I think the movie had something to do with dragons, possibly about them leaving as well, but I don't think they were a major plot element... perhaps this is one of those magic leaves and technology takes over themes; but I DO remember this as an animated *fantasy* movie.

I think I remember something like a coming of age theme.

I don't think this was a Dungeons & Dragons TV episode; I seem to recall a more mature plot and theme, longer story, but something of the dungeon master character counseling someone. Similarly the Pagemaster comes to mind; but I don't recall the funny animated things.

I think my recollection of the animation suggested between 83-95, but I don't have a lot of confidence in that guess. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Apr 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Nestorian

Do you know what kind of animation? I wanted to say, damn now I can't think of it... Haha, give me a min and I'll see what I can recall.
  • Apr 21, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Raina28
    I'm taking a shot in the dark here. But maybe The Never Ending Story?
  • Apr 21, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Nestorian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Raina28 View Post
    I'm taking a shot in the dark here. But maybe The Never Ending Story?

That was a motion picture with puppet stuff. He is looking for a cartoon/ animation.

I can't find anything on it, I know I've seen something like it, but the many books I've read are clouding my mind. Haha. Go figure eh? :rolleyes:
  • Apr 21, 2009, 06:45 PM
    alsonot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    That was a motion picture with puppet stuff. He is looking for a cartoon/ animation.

I can't find anything on it, I know i've seen something like it, but the many books i've read are clouding my mind. haha. go figure eh? :rolleyes:

Yes, definitely cartoon/ animation. If it helps I'm pretty sure this is something I saw on Canadian TV.

I really appreciate any help or suggestions - this is one of those things that's been bothering me for years.
  • Apr 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
    alsonot

Hey - I know this seems nuts but I think I just figured it out. I'm going to have to watch it to know for sure, but I think it was "The Flight of Dragons":
    The Flight of Dragons

The Flight of Dragons (1982) - Plot summary

The Flight of Dragons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Apr 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Nestorian

YouTube - Flight Of Dragons Ommadon and Byraugh.
    Is this it?
  • Apr 21, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Nestorian
    Sure, assume I'm Canadian eh... Guess that does give it away.

Canadian T.V. Do you mean a Canadian channel/net work/ broadcasting station, or you were in Canada when you saw it?
  • Apr 21, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Nestorian
    Damn, I was like 5 minutes too late. More jedi training I must have, Hmmmm.

Haha. Good to see you got it bro. peace.
  • Apr 21, 2009, 07:04 PM
    alsonot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post

Yes - I think so but that clip is much darker than I remember - I recal a lot more green nature scenes and less destruction in general.

I found another link the full video!
    The Flight of Dragons
  • Apr 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Nestorian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alsonot View Post
    Yes - I think so but that clip is much darker than I remember - I recal a lot more green nature scenes and less destruction in general.

I found another link the full video!
    The Flight of Dragons

Well, maybe it's just that one spot that I had randomely found that was dark. :p Enjoy dude.