Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medications (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Possible reaction to medication (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=771906)

• Oct 19, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Dallyboy
    Possible reaction to medication
    I am on a antibiotic call Sulfamethoxazole. My partner is really allergic to antibiotics. We had sexual intercourse and she developed a yeast infection the very next day. Is it possible she was affected by the antibiotics Im taking?
  • Oct 19, 2013, 09:32 PM
    joypulv
    Most likely you developed the yeast infection and gave it to her. Antibiotics do tend to cause them. Men often don't show any signs of the yeast. You both need to be treated, and refrain from sex until the treatment is done.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 04:57 AM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Most likely you developed the yeast infection and gave it to her. Antibiotics do tend to cause them. Men often don't show any signs of the yeast. You both need to be treated, and refrain from sex until the treatment is done.

I have never had a yeast infection (never had one ever), and never heard that antibiotics cause yeast infections.

To the OP, your antibiotics did not cause her yeast infection.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 06:14 AM
    joypulv
    Every single antibiotic I have ever taken in my life (before I hit menopause) has brought on a yeast infection.
    A quick Google of 'antibiotics and yeast infection' will bring up countless sites stating that it's true.
    Your antibiotics most probably DID cause her yeast, because you probably got it first.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 06:21 AM
    J_9
    There are some ABX that are notorious for yeast infections.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Yes, Toni has had this issue with many of hers. I can not say about the man taking them, it would not be the sex unless you had the infection and gave it to her.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 06:43 AM
    J_9
    Sulfamethoxazole, otherwise known as Septra or Bactrim, doesn't carry a risk of a yeast infection as does Amoxicillin, for example.

Your girlfriend may be allergic to some antibiotics, but I am certain she is not allergic to ALL antibiotics. With that said, she cannot have a reaction just because you are taking it and you had sex with her.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 07:03 AM
    joypulv
    '... she cannot have a reaction just because you are taking it and you had sex with her.'

True but just to reiterate, you still can have a yeast infection that you gave to her. Or she got one coincidentally. And she can give it to you. And you can give it back.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

True but just to reiterate, you still can have a yeast infection that you gave to her. Or she got one coincidentally. And she can give it to you. And you can give it back.
    Oh, absolutely!

However, this is not one of the meds that is notorious for yeast infections. I would have to say that this is coincidental.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 07:10 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

never heard that antibiotics cause yeast infections.
    Then you need to review your side-effects of antibiotics.
  • Oct 20, 2013, 11:06 AM
    tickle
    If I read all possible side effects of my meds, I wouldn't take them !

I take ciproflaxicin when I get a UTI (it is the only antibiotic that works for me) and it has 50 different side effects, I just looked them up; one is vaginal itching or discharge and I have never had that taking this antibiotic.

Anyway, now I know antibiotics cause yeast infections in (some) women.