Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Landline Phones (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460)
-   -   4 prong telephone jack adapter (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=490804)

• Jul 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
    t_boy55
    4 prong telephone jack adapter
    I have an antique telephone that has a 4 prong jack. Is there an adaptor that I can plug my phone in then lug it into the wall?
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:27 AM
    t_boy55

I have an antique 4 prong telephone. Is there an adaptor to plug it in the wall.
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
    cdad

How antiuqe is the phone? A 4 prong is that same thing in use today. Its just the wires are a lot smaller. It usually only takes 2 wires to run a phone. The reason for 4 wires is so it can work with either line 1 or line2 in a 2 line system.
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:29 AM
    t_boy55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by t_boy55 View Post
    I have an antique 4 prong telephone. Is there an adaptor to plug it in the wall.

My antique phone has a 4prong plug.
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
    t_boy55

This is the original phone where you hold the listening device while speaking into the phone. This is the original not a replica. It is a rotory not a touch tone. It has a 4 prong plug attached. A black, red and white wire.
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:35 AM
    t_boy55
    Quote:

This is the original phone where you hold the listening device while speaking into the phone. This is the original not a replica. It is a rotory not a touch tone. It has a 4 prong plug attached. A black, red and white wire.

It's an old one.
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:39 AM
    t_boy55
    Quote:

It's an old one.

Have to hold the listening device to your ear as you speak int the phone.
  • Jul 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
    cdad

You might want to contact your phone company just to make sure the voltages that it uses are compatible with current technology being used. Is there a dial on it or a crank?
  • Jul 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Stratmando

Found this:
    4-prong to RJ11 adapter
    Check out the phones through the Decades, may find yours.
    Haven't found the pin for pin yet.
    Personally I would trial and error connect to an active pair, The correct pair will give a Dial Tone.
    It may even be Polarity Conscience
    Good Luck
  • Jul 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
    KISS

If you need the info, I can remove a jack and look. I have plenty of these things working around the house.

That adapter is the way to go. The 4 prong jacks generally have relatively noisy connections.

Historically, the modular jacks were added next to existing 4-prong jacks at home.

Some older touch-tone jacks are polarity sensitive. You'll get dial tone, but no keypad tones if the polarity is backwards.
  • Nov 16, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Tikay99
    I can't believe that you folks don't know about eBay! (haha)... Yes my friend you can buy the adapter, it is available in eBay. Only a few people are currently selling them. I have several in my watch list now, hoping to buy one too, soon, but you may be my competition... try this guy...
    Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Prong-Jack-Modular-Phone-Plug-Telephone-Adapter-/180582328165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a0b8b a765
    (((Copy & Paste to your search engine)))
    He sells them for about ten dollars plus four more for shipping. It's a really good deal, don't buy from the guy with the 34.00 ones!
    Tracey
  • Nov 16, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Tikay99
    Yes my friend you can buy the adapter, it is available in eBay. Only a few people are currently selling them. I have several in my watch list now, hoping to buy one too, soon, but you may be my competition... try this guy...
    Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Prong-Jack-Modular-Phone-Plug-Telephone-Adapter-/180582328165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a0b8b a765
    He sells them for about ten dollars plus four more for shipping. It's a really good deal, don't buy from the guy with the 34.00 ones!
    Tracey
  • Nov 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
    Tikay99
    I can't believe that you folks don't know about eBay! (haha)... Yes my friend you can buy the adapter, it is available in eBay. Only a few people are currently selling them. I have several in my watch list now, hoping to buy one too, soon, but you may be my competition... try this guy...
    Link:
    Tracey
  • Nov 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Stratmando

I mention Ebay all the time, the link I mentioned is actually cheaper, $12.00+$1.75 for Shipping= $13.75. You get to save a quarter, don't have to bid against anyone, plus the site has a lot of info for old Telephones.
    Unles you are trying to keep it original, I might consider changing the line cord on the phone, you can plug in anywhere and you don't need an adapter.
  • Apr 27, 2012, 01:49 PM
    atobias64
    Hi,

I have a 4 wire telphone jack a bell 549A that uses a 225a converter to a RJ11 jack. Do you know if it matters where the red and green wires are connected to on the block?
  • Apr 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
    KISS
    The line colors are red/black and green/red. The red/black is line 1 and the green/red is line 2.

The third paragraph explains the connections. The block should be marked R, Y,
    G and B.

I do suggest replacing the jack with an RJ11. I have had poor luck with the 4 prong females because they are usually mounted close to the floor. The RJ11 to 4 prong female seems to work a lot better.

Newer terminology would be T1, R1 and T2 and R2.