Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Can't open internet explorer (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=278958)

• Nov 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
    djt10
    Can't open internet explorer
    I haven't been able to open IE for about a month. When this happened before I reinstalled it and it was fine until it happened again. But now I've reinstalled it several times with no luck.
    I have Windows XP SP3, Home Edition 2002 and reinstalled IE 8 beta. I tried to downgrade but it won't do anything since there is a more recent version on the computer.

I mainly used it for watching "instant play" Netflix movies, but since this is the only browser that does, I'm out of luck.

I downloaded the program suggested in another thread, Easy Spyware Remover to get the printout as suggested but that was just one more scam to make you buy something because you can't get a report unless you do.
  • Nov 9, 2008, 07:45 PM
    seahwk83

Have you tried to uninstall ie8 from add/remove programs?

Uninstall 8 and use 7 until IE8 is out of BETA and a final version is released
  • Nov 10, 2008, 12:51 AM
    djt10
    I uninstalled IE 8 and reinstalled 7, but it still won't open.
  • Nov 10, 2008, 10:09 AM
    seahwk83

Try to download IE7 from here and install over what you have now, hopefully this will work
    Download details: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
  • Nov 10, 2008, 01:13 PM
    djt10

Ok, thanks. I'll try anything.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 01:03 AM
    djt10

No luck.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 01:06 AM
    seahwk83

What comes up when you click on IE
  • Nov 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
    djt10

Nothing. It won't open up at all. I've tried from the tray and from the start menu, so it isn't shortcut either. There is no message, error or otherwise.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
    seahwk83

Try going directly to the file

In windows explorer, go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and double click on iexplore.exe there
  • Nov 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
    djt10

There is no Windows Explorer. I even did a search and nothing came up.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 12:53 PM
    djt10
    I did a search for iexplore.exe and it didn't come up either.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 01:56 PM
    seahwk83

Go right to the folder in windows explorer as mentioned

It should be installed to c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
  • Nov 11, 2008, 02:00 PM
    djt10

There is no windows explorer. I did a search for IE files and looked through the folders and the iexplore.exe doesn't seem to exist.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
    djt10

IE is listed in the program files, but there is nothing there. It doesn't have a dropdown (sideways) menu with anything in it.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
    seahwk83

At this point I would suggest a repair installation

Repair Installation
    A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

Perform a Repair Installation
  • Nov 11, 2008, 06:31 PM
    djt10

How do I bring up a screen that has "boot from CD?" I know I have to hit a button when it's starting up, but somewhere I'm missing the right one.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 07:00 PM
    seahwk83

There are different keys for different systems

When starting computer with the cd in the drive, try the F7 key
    Some use the F12 key and there are others that you can press any key during boot that will give you option to boot to CD

If these don't work

When you first turn on you computer, look for keys to press listed on the screen to enter into BIOS

Once in BIOS, you want to make your first Boot Device the CD Rom and save changes and let the computer restart and it should boot to the CD

If any of these don't help, post your computer make and model and will see what can be found out about getting the CD to boot
  • Nov 11, 2008, 08:38 PM
    djt10

Ok, thanks. f7 was one I didn't try, but I did get bios, although I didn't see the CD boot option but will try again.
  • Nov 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
    seahwk83

What you can do is to Reset the Bios defaults, this will usually assign the CD to boot first
  • Nov 11, 2008, 10:24 PM
    djt10
    It worked. I've got IE back. I thought about the repair function some time ago but was afraid to try it and delete my files accidentally, so it was very scary waiting to see if everything would come back, but it worked exactly as it was supposed to.

I can't thank you enough for having the patience to stick with this. It probably repaired other problems I was having too.

Dianne