Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mitch42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Do I need a moisture barrier?
    If I have already installed (screwed in the cement board to the studs in my shower, do I need to remove the cement board to install a moisture barrier, or will I be okay? If I must redo everything, what type of moisture barrier do I need to buy and install?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2011, 11:25 AM

If this is a shower or other wet area I certainly would install the barrier. Cement board is not water proof or water vapour impervious. It is water resistant and makes a great tile based on top of a vapor barrier. I'd use at least a 6 mil visqueen
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jun 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
    My answer is probably too late for Mitch, but it may help others.

I would leave the board and install/apply a surface membrane instead. It's a much better method of controlling vapor and at the same time you will be waterproofing the surface. If done correctly along with the proper shower floor waterproofing, you'll have a shower that will work as intended and look great for a long time to come.

I prefer the Kerdi membrane and Kerdi drain methods for showers. The way all showers should be built.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moisture between vapor barrier and new aqua board [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had my tub surround redone do to a leaking shower pull assembly, about 6 weeks ago we noticed cracking and holes in grout lines and moisture coming out under the tub, we opened up a kitchen wall behind the new tile and there is moisture between the vapor barrier and the backside of the...

Moisture barrier between wood trim and concrete wall? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are wanting to put rough-sawn western cedar trim on the outside of our garage. What can we use as a moisture barrier between the wood and the concrete wall? Would the waterproofing sealer paint work if it was between the wood and the wall? Or would it be best to use the 6 mil...

When fastening wood to a basement floor should there be any moisture barrier ? [ 1 Answers ]

Oo protect wood from rotting or getting mold ?

Moisture barrier [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a moisture/air infiltration barrier (i.e. TYVEK etc. ) is code for an outside wall (particle board) on a home in Virginia? :)

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

View more questions Search