Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saving_money Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
    When fastening wood to a basement floor should there be any moisture barrier ?
    Oo protect wood from rotting or getting mold ?
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Oct 20, 2010, 01:18 PM

Lots of ways to go with this answer. Glue down wood floors can be protected with various trowel on moisture prevention membranes such as Bostick MVP. Sole plates for wall framing in basements should be pressure treated and I've seen inspectors le it either fly as is or require felt or a sill gasket. Full sheets of plywood for naildown hardwood are best don on a sleeper system. Have you done any moisture testing?

What have you got planned?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are Wood-skids on basement floor safe from termites? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed a wood-burning stove, but didn't order a cord of firewood ... yet... That's waiting for when I figure out how to safely store it. I worked hard all day today lugging 4 skids (wood pallets) to the house via hand-truck, one skid at a time. Their dimensions: Three...

Moisture in the basement [ 6 Answers ]

:)I am buying a house and there is some moisture in the basement utility room on the wall about 2 " from the floor and has some white staining and also there is some past moisture on the floor and The inpector said nothing to worry as that is not black and it is not mold. He did write in the report...

Basement finishing, insulating, vapor barrier. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in the Chicago area and I am finishing my basement. I did much research on the vapor barrier issue. I feel the proper way to insulate basements is to use the 1" - 2" pink board against foundation, then stud, batt insulate if desired, then rock... no vapor barrier. There are...

Moisture barrier [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a moisture/air infiltration barrier (i.e. TYVEK etc. ) is code for an outside wall (particle board) on a home in Virginia? :)

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

View more questions Search