Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjidaho Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Feb 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Can a floor leveler be used over black adhesive glue
    I will be tiling the kitchen floor over electric radiant heat, There is a black adhesive under the vinyl tiles that I am taking up. Can I use a floor leveler over the radiant heat mats and pour it directly over the black adhesive and then tile?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 28, 2010, 04:49 PM

What kind of tile vct,wood?
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 28, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Hi Idaho,

Yes you can. BTW, that black tar glue is known as cutback. LATICRETE® 816 LatiPatch™ mixed with LATICRETE® Admix and Primer. Read how here. http://www.laticrete.com/contractors/products/self_leveling_patching_mortars/productid/5.aspx

Jaz

Mar 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtconc View Post
    what kind of tile vct,wood?
    I will be using 18" porcelain tiles over 3/4" plywood sub floor.

Mar 1, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Are you saying the old vinyl tiles were installed direct over the subfloor? If so, that is wrong. Check if there is a 1/4" underlayment over the subfloor. In any case you will not be installing ceramic tiles over just a single layer plywood subfloor.

Let us know what you find and tell us what specific materials you're planning to use. Start with that for now.

Jaz

Mar 4, 2010, 03:40 PM

The vinyl tiles were glued with black adhesive directly over 3/4" plywood
    No other underlayment over sub floor. Vinyl floor is 30 years old. It is next to impossible to remove the black cutback adhesive so I want to use a floor leveler and embed my electric radiant heating mats within it. Then Tile with versabond and my tiles.
    sjidaho

Mar 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
    No, it's not going to work. You need either a membrane such as Ditra or a concrete backer board.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

How to remove the black tile glue from a conrete floor in the basement. [ 4 Answers ]

How to remove the black glue from a concrete floor in the basement. We removed the tile, which was buckling and now we are left with a black, uneven mess. We would like to just paint the floor. Please help.

Henry floor leveler compound nail through [ 3 Answers ]

I am leveling up a wood subfloor to install a 1/2 inch engineered hardwood floor. I planned on using Henry leveling Compound up to 1/2 inch thick over an area about 3 feet wide by 8 feet long. This area is a transition are between a great room and a kitchen that will all be covered with the new...

Can I use floor leveler over Durock? [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed Durock in my kitchen floor, and after I glued and screwed it all down, I noticed that the floor is all on one plane, perfectly flat, except for an area that runs from one of the walls to a spot about three feet from the wall. This area slopes downward. So... Can I use a floor...

Floor Leveler [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove excessive (dry) floor leveler?

View more questions Search