Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgewash Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 10:58 PM
    Can I use floor leveler over Durock?
    I have installed Durock in my kitchen floor, and after I glued and screwed it all down, I noticed that the floor is all on one plane, perfectly flat, except for an area that runs from one of the walls to a spot about three feet from the wall. This area slopes downward. So... Can I use a floor leveling product or should I build it up with thinset, let that dry, and then lay my tiles with more thinset on top of that? Any suggestions?
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jan 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Sure you can use a leveler, there are many. In a pinch and if the thickness is slight, you can use thin set too, but a product made to fill and level is best. Be sure it's a Portland based product. A self leveling cement may work if the rest of the floor is level, otherwise stay away from SLC. How thick would the new fill be?

Jaz
    georgewash Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 09:47 PM

The joists in question dip down about 1". I was thinking of using rapid set mortar in the morning and then coming back in the evening and using regular versabond thin set mortar. What do you think?
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jan 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
    By rapid set mortar do you mean thin set tile mortar? If so, NO. Get a patching cement, which also comes in rapid set.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Structo-lite versus floor leveler [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 30 year old fiberglass tub with no support under it - 1.5 inch gap over subfloor. I saw the same question on mar 17, 2009 so wanted to try the recommendations of shoving balls of structo-lite in material squares under the tub and letting it set up. The man at my local lumberyard talked...

Floor Leveler [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove excessive (dry) floor leveler?

Concrete Board Needs Leveler. [ 2 Answers ]

It's my maiden voyage on placing concrete board and subsequent ceramic tile installation. I have unfortunately failed to notice an unlevel corner in the bathroom where I'm working. Now my last piece of concrete board--in a small toilet alcove -- is mortared down and slanting down, with a slight...

Joint between Green Board and Durock [ 8 Answers ]

What do you use for the joint where Cement board ends and Green board starts? Thinset still? Tile is only going halfway up the green board wall. Thinset would make sense on the lower tiled half. What about the upper?

Painting on durock directly, In a showr! [ 1 Answers ]

Can I paint over Durock in my shower, and do I need to acid wash the durock first? I don't want to tile because to get a look I'd like it would be too expensive. Im going for an aged Italian stucco look. I'm three quatres finished but was wondering if I should take this extra step to insure...

View more questions Search