Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Interior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Corian shower repair (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=88800)

• May 3, 2007, 09:47 AM
    richard McClanahan
    Corian shower repair
    I have a Corian shower. The floor of the shower was made with angled pieces and put together with epoxy. The angles were done so the water would drain. Expanding foam was used under the Corian. The epoxy seams have cracked and are leaking.
    How can this be repaired or can it? Can a thickness(maybe 1/4") of epoxy be poured on floor of shower to seal whole floor?
    Any help in this area will be appreciated.
  • May 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
    ballengerb1
    Don't pour epoxy on the floor if it is just the seams that leak. Corian, if it is in fact Corian, is pretty water proof so just clean out the seams. The epoxy is a little brittle compared to cauld so I'd suspect you have some movement in the floor. Maybe that foam wasn't such a good idea, usually use thinset. Re-cauld using a caulk made for bath and shower application. DAP has one that contains a mildewcide in it and it works well.
  • May 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
    kidolph
    Richard,

When "caulking" Corian it is best to use a 100% silicone product and make sure that you prepare the area with alcohol first. Push the silicone into the crack as far as you can and leave an ugly bead there for 48 hours. Then slice off the bead with a razor blade for a clean finish.

If the crack is very fine you probably will not be able to get any type of "caulk" into it. In that case, you can cool the area with a bag of ice. This will open the crack some. Then, clean it well with bleach and a toothbrush. Warm the area with a hair dryer until the crack closes and apply a "wicking " cyanoacrylate. Do not use for 24 hours. If this is a seam area you are unfortunately gluing Corian to the adhesive and the same thing may happen again on the other side of the layer of epoxy. But after a second repair you should have no further trouble because the epoxy has better cohesion than adhesion.

You can contact me if you have further questions.
  • Aug 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
    uslivingstone
    I recommend you to read this article: <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-repair-corian-countertop">how to repair corian countertop</a> or ask experts to fix that.
  • Aug 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
    uslivingstone
    You can use some tips from here: how to repair corian countertop or simply use a help of experts.
  • Aug 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
    uslivingstone

My previous post with <a href... can be deleted, sorry for that, I'm not spammer.
  • Aug 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
    kjani
    HI - my husband's shower has a corian pan and there appears to be a big long crack but very very narrow just a rough edge and a ding in it. I think with his weight when he is in the shower possibly this crack opens up. He hasn't been using it since we discovered the crack or he felt it. I read your directions below. Should I open up the crack with ice? Have him stand on the lower part of the crack and squeeze a bunch of silicone into the crack (IF I can get any in there at all) then use a hairdryer on it while he stands there to speed drying creating a semi large or ugly BEAD and then let it dry that way and slice it off OR I was unsure with your directions about the very fine crack and using cyanoacrylate? What do you think I should do? I would REALLY APPRECIATE any directives on this to help seal it. We eventually would like to remodel and expand the bathrooma and this thing would go, but for now we would like to make-do without jeapordizing a leak UNDER NEATH the corian and creating a disaster with long term leaks?

Thanks for your expertise...
    Kay
    --------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidolph View Post
    Richard,

When "caulking" Corian it is best to use a 100% silicone product and make sure that you prepare the area with alcohol first. Push the silicone into the crack as far as you can and leave an ugly bead there for 48 hours. Then slice off the bead with a razor blade for a clean finish.

If the crack is very fine you probably will not be able to get any type of "caulk" into it. In that case, you can cool the area with a bag of ice. This will open the crack some. Then, clean it well with bleach and a toothbrush. Warm the area with a hair dryer until the crack closes and apply a "wicking " cyanoacrylate. Do not use for 24 hours. If this is a seam area you are unfortunately gluing Corian to the adhesive and the same thing may happen again on the other side of the layer of epoxy. But after a second repair you should have no further trouble because the epoxy has better cohesion than adhesion.

You can contact me if you have further questions.